Latest Video - Layout Progress #9 Terrain from start to finish

on2rails

I thought some might enjoy our latest video!

BUILDING A MODEL RAILROAD - LAYOUT UPDATE #9 - How-To Create Landforms and Terrain

In this video we discuss and demonstrate various techniques used to create landforms, hills and terrain as it relates to model railroads and our current display layout. In our sidetracked segment we take a look at D-LOC's YouTube channel where you can find videos from various European train shows and meets. Lots of great modeling presented here.

On our Youtube channel at

[video=youtube_share;7z__COXVILU]http://youtu.be/7z__COXVILU[/video]

Great vid, thanx!
I'm guessing there's a trestle building segment in the future?

Funny you should mention that. Yes, for the Mountain side of the layout that is the next step before the "scenery" starts.
I have 3 bridges in consideration for the upper bridge area. When I planned this, I wanted the thru truss (Central Valley version) and I had one already built that I used on dioramas.
I't wont work in the full size due to clearance over the tracks below, so I kitbashed a separate shorter version. I also have a Noch Box bridge and a Vollmer Box bridge that looks similar. The other option is a scratch built wood trestle.
You'll have to wait and see. Even as I type this, I don't know which one I will use.

Joey Ricard

We all seem to develop our own methods of doing things. I wonder why you used the foam ribs (cost) covered with screen (cost again) instead of cardboard strips (free) covered with either paper towels dipped in plaster; or, the plaster impregnated gauze material to cover the base? Your way seems far more complicated to me. However, I don't begrudge you your method, as I'm sure like my method, we become comfortable doing it the way we do. In my photo below (the scene is still not quite complete) this area is covered with a cardboard strip lattes and covered in Woodland Scenics Plaster Cloth; or, it could have been plaster dipped paper towels. It is then covered with a layer of Sculpt-a-Mold, that is carved into shape (the term "carved" is sort of a misnomer and the reality is it is "worked" into shape). Please don't take this wrong, I am interested in all manner of doing scenery and will follow along with any videos you provide in the future and thanks for sharing!

HPIM7346.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the guy has sponsors so of course he will be using their way, I like your way NP2626, it's CHEAPER!

Keep it coming brothers, it's GOOD STUFF!

The layout is being designed to be portable to take to shows, etc. Therefore it has to be sturdier than a permanent home layout.

So, I have to ask, what is more sturdy about the way On2 rails has demonstrated and what I have described?

Just my opinion, and as he said in the video, he could have used cardboard but just chose to do it that way. We all have our preferences.

Well, the guy has sponsors so of course he will be using their way "Clip"

Yes, the company sponsoring the video produces Back Drops, a few Structures and some Detail Items, I did not see any other products at their website and other than the Back Drops used in the video, no other www.tracksidescenery.com items have been used so far. I'm glad I went to the site as there are some items I am interested in!

Just my opinion, and as he said in the video, he could have used cardboard but just chose to do it that way. We all have our preferences.

Like I said in my post #4, we all do have our pet systems for doing particular procedures. I am not begrudging; or, shooting down the system used in the video (I Thought I was fairly clear on this point, I guess not). The video outlines a process that I am interested in understanding and to reiterate I meant no disrespect with my questions!

I went a whole 'nother way on mine, solid styrofoam base.
It was free and came in all sorts of thicknesses so I just stacked and carved.

I remember someone taping balloons together, covering them with paper mâché, then popping the balloons leaving a hollow form. Now that's different!

There are a couple of items in the video that I will disagree with and offer a warning for the new modeler to reconsider.
When you take paper product and apply a wet solution of sorts, the paper will eventually start to rot. That rot will attract insects which will also die in the structure adding to the stink.
The use of the dry mix and water is purely promoting a product that is far more expensive than a 5 gallon bucket of wall plaster. They both achieve the same thing except the bucket of wall plaster is ready to go when ya take the lid off. No sloppy mixing, just apply it directly to the screen work and let it dry. I use a spatula to apply it then a rather stiff paint brush to work out the ridges left by the spatula. Subsequent coats can be applied as needed. Any cracks that show up can be easily filled with a thinner application of the dry wall plaster.
If ya notice the final coating looked nice and shiny. When I look out the window here, the ground doesn't shine. I use a texture plaster (about two cups) that has silica mixed in then I add a flat paint (about 1/4 cup) that is mixed with earth tone color. I also add a little bit (about a thimble full) of black base and yellow base to take away a pink tone that the earth tone paint tends to show when its dried. After mixing that, I just paint it onto the dried dry wall plaster then add the ground foliage and structures.
This provides a light weight, very hard shell scenery base that will stand up to the stresses of moving a module.

D&J, I used cardboard strips through-out the entirety of my layout as the forms for the scenery base. Naturally these cardboard strips got wet in the process of laying on the plaster soaked towels; or, plaster impregnated gauze. For about a week, both the plaster and the cardboard strips had fairly high in moisture content. Then everything dried out and is bone dry now. I don't see any bugs; or, other problems with this method. In fact this method has been in use since back around John Allen times and I have never seen bugs mentioned by people who used cardboard or wadded up news papers as a base for their scenery. I should think that if this where an issue, we would have heard people say something!

I did the cardboard and wadded paper on previous layouts and in the tear down phase, found the insects in the paper. It's a natural attraction for them in a basement environment. Also, the smell of rotting paper and cardboard, smells like dead mice.

Unless it was used for fishwrap, wet paper should just dry and not attract anything but dust. If you were using flour to make your paste then maybe yea, bugs or mice would get in there. If the paper STAYED wet it would rot but on a layout it should just dry out with no problem.

It was plain from jump that this guy is beholden to some brand names and is promoting products but HEY, if it works bring it, but as has been shown, there are no flies on these Freddies around here and they have seen it ALL! You might get away with pushing that stuff on an all newb crowd but thank the power terminal above that we have some REAL PRO's around here and they have ways already discovered and proven....and CHEAPER! I know people who think they can BUY a layout just by purchasing the top of the line most expensive whatever it is without putting in the WORK required to have a running layout. They end up with a pile of expensive stuff and nowhere to run it!

D&J, I think you had a reaction that is not typical. However, you can certainly do this process however you think is best.

Back