Latest scratch built 8 axle tank car

I've been off line for awhile, it's amazing how much modeling you can do.
I finished my VICX 4814 car. This is a huge car, weighing in at 526,000+ LBS.
It's 91' long, and hauls 48,330 GALS of Vinyl Chloride. These cars ran in blocks of three or four, that's a lot of VC! I weathered it with Bragdon powders. Your opinion on the car and weathering would be appriciated. It can be seen at the link below.

Thanks, Bobby AKA Tankcarsrule

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53243414@N00

The Buckeyes were very hard for me, because I didn't know what I was doing. I was determined to make them, so I just kept pluging away until
I made them. Each truck has 4 different parts to make the side frames.
I carved the bolsters from lamanated styrene strips.

Regards, Bobby

Would the prototype be bigger than this one?
It's a 6 axle tanker at Strasburg RR.
DPP_0011_edited-1-Copy-Copy2.png

DPP_0012_edited-1-Copy3-Copy.png

Yes, it's longer, and at 526,000 lbs and 48,330 gals is at the top of the RailWhale list.
The two big whalebellies (GATX, UTLX) are bigger in some areas, but the VICX car are
bigger overall when all factors are weighed.

I've been off line for awhile, it's amazing how much modeling you can do.
I finished my VICX 4814 car. This is a huge car, weighing in at 526,000+ LBS.
It's 91' long, and hauls 48,330 GALS of Vinyl Chloride. These cars ran in blocks of three or four, that's a lot of VC! I weathered it with Bragdon powders. Your opinion on the car and weathering would be appriciated. It can be seen at the link below.

Thanks, Bobby AKA Tankcarsrule

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53243414@N00

INCREDIBLE model! Love the weathering.

Thanks Zoegraf! Todd, sometimes I feel 96!

Regards, Bobby

I'd love to see any other models you have done in the past.

I haven't scratchbuilt much in a long time, but you certainly have inspired me to do so again. I usually do buildings.

The only car I ever scratchbuilt is this CN flat car years ago and I still haven't finished decaling it because I haven't figure out a way to break up the "Canadian National" and put them between the pockets. For now, the car is parked and the non-decaled area is covered with a tarp.

zoegraf, all the cars I've done are on my flickr site. The flat is great looking. I find scratchbuilding very rewarding.

Thanks, Bobby

Back