Latest Rustbucket

AGGRO

I, Aggro...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270197278096&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=017

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

Aggro, you are the top Judge in here on weathering, how do you think wood is comming, I know its far from perfect, but its only my 2nd try on it.

Original
weathering_car_1.jpg

1st Try wood ( disastrous)
weathering_car_2.jpg

2nd time wood ( bit better)
weathering_car_3.jpg

can you pinpoint where I'm going wrong in colours or technique?

Thanks

The wood is shaping up pretty decent in the second photo. I'd just hit it with a thin dark wash and try to use wet blotting to lessen the starkness of the overly black and orangy parts. As for the metal braces, i'd use a very fine brush to overcoat them with a heavy burnt umber wash, that ought to tone them back in line.

Here I post again a new picture which is much closer in colour to the real weathering, the other picture somehow came too colourful

weathering_car_3b.jpg

I will try to take another picture in real sunlight without flash to compare the difference in colours. When I uploaded and posted the others I was half asleep :p so couldn't compare them :)

The weathering is looking better all the time, Maxi. Exactly what kind of car is that? Looks like a boxcar with an end platform like a caboose.

actually I donno exactly, all I know its a European car, that won't go on my layout, since I'm modeling a US layout. So I'm using these cars as dummies to test weathering on, so when I start weathering the boxcars for my layout I wil be practiced enough :D. Though this boxcar is not a caboose, cause there's no door near the end platform, its a sort of cargo boxcar.

Anyway, i'm trying to do my best in weathering, and even though I'm still far from good, I'll keep on trying till I succeed. :) even if I have to strip all these cars and start again :D I know my tecnique is a bit rough for now, and maybe I'm using heavy paint, but I'm trying to learn on my own, as no one told me how the paint is best applied or how it is applied, I'm learning all from my trials and errors.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, here's the latest attempt, now trying to get in some detail, so I had to bring out the LENS :) never thought that you could spot so many painting errors with a lens :p

weathering_car_5_sm.jpg

DANG!!! I can never get the same photo colour and lighting, every time I take a picture.

Back