Late Weekend PhotoFun 01-16-06

D

dthurman

Well better late then never ;)

Here are some more shots using the Helicon software, though a few are not as great as I would like them, I took then at night, seems I get better results with "real" daylight.

Sean

They are Intermountain's, our LHS had the six pack coming in so I snagged them when they walked in the door ;) They are N scale and the detail is amazing on them.

dthurman said:
Sean

They are Intermountain's, our LHS had the six pack coming in so I snagged them when they walked in the door ;) They are N scale and the detail is amazing on them.

David,

Wow, they look great! I was gonna ask about them as well but I got my answer. Here in LaCrosse (Grand Crossing) We are starting to see a lot more of the 'swoosh' on all types of cars.
Keep up the great work you models are works of art. And anyone that can to it in 'N' scale has my attention!!!

Johnny

Maybe NEXT weekend....?

Really fine pix David, I like those whitefaced CRR's.

Wish I had something to contribute myself, but I doubt anybody would consider half a dozen [unpainted] joint-compound grade crossings very photogenical!:p

Anyone seen the new BNSF 53' container chassis yet? Looked like LUFZ reporting marks, orange, with a white BNSF wedgie on the frame. I'm sure someone will get pics, I saw 2 truckloads of them going North towards Riverside/San Bernadino, CA, and on under a container going South when I was in Colton. Wasn't able to get a picture myself.

Anyways for MY weekend's work, I snagged an Athearn trainset from Wal*Mart in Lake Havasu, "The Warbonnet" as its named... $48 for a Santa Fe F unit in Warbonnet red & silver, a gondola, NP grain box, riveted tank car and a Caboose. Figured I couldn't go wrong, as it'd give me something to play with. I then stopped at the Wal*Mart in Poway, just north of me here, because they allways have the good 1/87 cars, and I got 2 VW bus's & a bug, and two more of the '55 chevy's. Anyone want one of those train sets? I might pic up some from the Poway Wal*Mart, as they had 4 when I was there. Some Bachmann sets too, like the Casey jones set, and a Santa Fe F unit set too (not as nice as the Athearn one though).

Pics:

Josh

Not a bad price, we sell the same at the shop, but ours come with Accumates, odd, they must have 2 different sets out of the same units and roads.

Well thanks guys, but I want to see all of the groups progress/lack of too ;)

Here's what my layout has been looking like for going on a month. I suspect, the tide will turn in about two weeks (going out of town starting tomorrow.)

staging01.gif

I raised the layout relative to the track and have been spending the last 2-3 weeks scraping latex caulk and drywall mud off the roadbed. That is 95% done. Then I am going to paint the foam and roadbed, then ballast. Then I can replace Tater Mountain and fill in the rest of the landscape. I'll be able to run trains for a day or two while I connect and wire the staging area.

Then I get to tear it all down again when I rip out the bridge, lower the landscape in front, and build a trestle bridge to replace the steel bridge. Doing so requires moving the control panel. [Dread!].

Then I will start being able to operate.

dthurman said:
Well thanks guys, but I want to see all of the groups progress/lack of too ;)
OK, if you insist....

Here are some grade crossings I did using joint compound (a.k.a. "spackle") in my BOF ingot teeming and stripping areas:
BOF_teeming_grade_crossings_01.jpg

...and here is a brass support frame I made for my teeming building to sit on - originally I tried just cementing Plastruct styrene girders underneath, didn't work - so I figured I may as well use metal like the "big boys":D
BOF_teeming_grade_crossings_02.jpg

Alright guys! That's what I am talken about. Progress!

Chip is that part of the new RR that is going into the space you cleared out in the basement? Hopefully Chip, you will be shipping lots of lumber out of your RR.

Ken, looking good. I can see it all happening soon, lots of loads of tin and scrap heading towards you, and lots of steel coils and I-beams coming my way ;)

dthurman said:
Chip is that part of the new RR that is going into the space you cleared out in the basement? Hopefully Chip, you will be shipping lots of lumber out of your RR.

Nope, that's a revamp of the Rock Ridge and Train City. The Redwood Empire will start next August if all goes as planned.

OK guys, I see that construction photos are good too! I hope so because that will be about all I have to photograph for the next decade:D . I am doing my layout a little different than some of you. I build a scene only to the starting point of general detail then move on. Later, I will go back to the scene and add a little more and etc. and then someday get down to the absolutes of detail. This way I can be in full operation quicker and enjoy the pleasures of running the rails.

This is what I have been trying to get completed enough to move on to installing signals.

Sawmill Ridge Under Construction. The rock face painting is almost done, the log pond started, some ground cover applied, and the track painted.
afm.sized.jpg

Closer View of Rock work and Log pond.
afn.sized.jpg

Pass Under construction. This is between the Steel complex and the town of Irondale.
afo.sized.jpg

David, I'm not sure that I understand your question, but I will try to answer.
All my hills (Southern mountains;) ) are constructed using basket weave cardboard, plaster gauze, and plaster of paris. Rocks are both moldings and hand carved.

The trees on Sawmill Ridge are cuttings from a wild bush that grows in the South. Dip in paint bucket of 3:1 water/glue, Sprinkle fine ground foam, hang to dry.

The trees on the other hill are using puffs of Polyesther pillow stuffing.
1. Pull off a glob of poly
2. Roll in your hand for the right size and round shape.
3. Hot glue to mountain.
4. When a small section is complete, Spray paint with cheap black paint.
5. Spray thoroughly with 3:1 or 5:1 water/white glue or equiv.
6. Sprinkle fine ground foam (your choice of color)
7. Use "V" piece of cardboard to blow ground foam into crevices and under the trees.
8. Continue 1-7 until complete coverage
9. Spray again with glue concoction.

How's that? If I didn't answer your question or if you need more specific information on something, please ask again.

Back