Laptop Power Supplies used for accessories on your layout

I see what you're doing Dave. I just wanted to be sure you are aware of the other thread, which contains some good information.

I'll be following your new thread with interest! I started learning about personal computers in the 1970's with the KIM-1 single-board "microcomputer." Forty years on, and we've now come full circle with the availability of very powerful single-board computers like the Arduino.

- Jeff

Yeah, from the dumb terminal with server based LAN to the high power desktop. Now, we are heading back to the central "cloud" based computing.

My experience is not as vast as you but I do recall starting on my first computer back in 30-40 year ago. I was on a TSR 80 with the tape drive as the memory. That wasn't too bad since the winter was long in Ohio and it would keep me busy for days trying to get anything done on it. Now, these little Arduinos are really cool and I can't wait to have a better understanding of them and how much I can do with them. I realize now how much can be done and think about how much they are used in our lives and we don't even know. Like so many of my sons toys these days have some chip in them.

Dave

I did my first programming in WATFOR, a version of FORTRAN developed at Waterloo University. It ran on an IBM 360/75 mainframe at the University of Illinois Digital Computer Lab. We submitted our programs on punch cards and typically came back the next day to see our results. Occasionally, the system was configured to output the results in "real time," which was always a happy day! This was in 1969.

I also had access to PLATO (Programmed Logic for Automatic Teaching Operations), a computer-assisted instruction system. Amazingly for the 1960's, PLATO had a graphical user interface, including a few games, the best of which was Space War. There was a worldwide network of PLATO terminals, allowing multi-player games.

Cutting edge stuff!

- Jeff

Back