Laptop Power Supplies used for accessories on your layout

Hi Dave -

I'm still not clear on what you mean by a "universal power supply." What is it, exactly?

There are lots of electronic devices that will operate on 15V DC. There are lots of others that won't. You have to check the devices you wish to power and see what voltage they require. If a particular device requires 12V DC, you can use a voltage (not "power") regulator to produce 12V from a 15V supply.

- Jeff

Here's the easiest way to get more power:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-1...hash=item258d5bbdad:m:mhNgv8DBI6MBMNI_DbhOcwg

I have 3 of the 10 amp supplies to run all the accessories. I use the previously mentioned down converters for separating supply lines and adjusting voltage as required. But remember, I worked in electronics for 18 years before moving into software. This stuff is second nature for me.

Added: I just picked the 12v because it came up first. These power supplies are available in 5v, 12v, 15v, 24v, etc., etc. Pick the voltage that matches the maximum you need and everything else down converts from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have one of the 30A versions -- works great for powering nearly everything on my electronics workbench.

An important note for those without much electronics experience: These power supplies are not consumer items, so they are not quite "plug and play." For example, they do not include a power cord, so you'll need to add one and do so in a safe manner so you don't expose yourself to 110 or 220 VAC line voltage. There is no on-off switch either. I added one to my supply, but you could instead plug the supply into a power strip with an on-off switch.

Power supplies of this type a a real bargain, but they do require a bit of work and some precautions to use them safely.

- Jeff

Jeff,

Good point about these not being plug and play. I try to keep those issues in mind when replying on forums, but sometimes make "assumptions".

Hi Dave -

I'm still not clear on what you mean by a "universal power supply." What is it, exactly?

There are lots of electronic devices that will operate on 15V DC. There are lots of others that won't. You have to check the devices you wish to power and see what voltage they require. If a particular device requires 12V DC, you can use a voltage (not "power") regulator to produce 12V from a 15V supply.

- Jeff

Jeff,

The "universal power supply" I'm referring to would be the type of supply you would have found at Radio shack or now at WalMart. The ones I have do not have the ability to change the output. They are more like the power supply plug you would see when you get a set of speakers for a computer. They have a large plug and a small round connection you can plug into the back of a speaker or other electronic device.

Sample:

Not this one but like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K7EF2XS/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2329824862&pf_rd_r=XXV89SFDPM4GD7KXCWDD&pd_rd_wg=w1JOc&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=k3ZTP&pf_rd_i=power+supply&pd_rd_r=8QKR4PQA9K4Q4W1NT8E1&psc=1

Dave

I have one of the 30A versions -- works great for powering nearly everything on my electronics workbench.

An important note for those without much electronics experience: These power supplies are not consumer items, so they are not quite "plug and play." For example, they do not include a power cord, so you'll need to add one and do so in a safe manner so you don't expose yourself to 110 or 220 VAC line voltage. There is no on-off switch either. I added one to my supply, but you could instead plug the supply into a power strip with an on-off switch.

Power supplies of this type a a real bargain, but they do require a bit of work and some precautions to use them safely.

- Jeff

Great added information Jeff. I agree anyone must know what they are doing before they try anything like mess with power from a wall outlet. The shock from a 9v or less battery isn't going to kill you but the stuff from the wall can and will.

Thank you for keeping up with this tread and sharing your knowledge.

Dave

Here's the easiest way to get more power:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-1...hash=item258d5bbdad:m:mhNgv8DBI6MBMNI_DbhOcwg

I have 3 of the 10 amp supplies to run all the accessories. I use the previously mentioned down converters for separating supply lines and adjusting voltage as required. But remember, I worked in electronics for 18 years before moving into software. This stuff is second nature for me.

Added: I just picked the 12v because it came up first. These power supplies are available in 5v, 12v, 15v, 24v, etc., etc. Pick the voltage that matches the maximum you need and everything else down converts from there.

Kevin,

Thanks, I really like these and I can see getting this for what I need and now I don't need to worry about having enough outlets to plugs for all the power supplies. I can easily add a switch to control the power to this from the outlet.

I'm thinking I like the idea of using the LM2596 voltage regulator boards from eBay Jeff mentioned. Include a voltage display I can really see this helping me know I got them set up correctly.

power_converter_750.png

Now I just need to get this and find a new home for all those power supplies I have no use for once again. LOL

Dave

Here's how I configured my 12VDC, 30A power supply which is similar to the ones Kevin linked on eBay.

30A_Power_Supply.jpg

On the input end where I attached the power cord, I added an on-off switch and an aluminum shroud to prevent anyone from accidentally coming into contact with the 120 VAC line voltage. The cooling fan was already part of the power supply so I left it in place. At the other end of the power supply, I added binding posts for easy connection to devices needing power. I used perforated aluminum to cover the connections while still allowing airflow from the fan to keep the power supply cool.

30A_Power_Supply_IO.jpg

- Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I donated all of mine (except one I keep on the test bench) to the local landfill. (Horrors!) Actually, they went in the recycle bin at the local landfill.

Yeah, it looks like another box of electronics to the landfill for me. I'll keep a couple just in case but I have too many. With a new one costing so little as you showed me I have never reason to use old ones.

I would love to see what your layout electronics look like. Do you keep them in a cabinet under your layout,?
Dave

Jeff,
I like what you did with your power supply. I was visioning something like that myself. Love to see your electronics too.

Dave

Here is a labeled photo of the central portion of my layout wiring. Mine is a small N-scale DCC layout, but I wanted to try a little bit of everything, so it's moderately complicated. Everything is color-coded, which I think is very important!

- Jeff

Wiring_1_labels.jpg

Nice Jeff. I'm thinking a lot like you and I want to try a little of everything. I was thinking of arduino for the servo controlling with DCC.
I agree color coding is a key. I just don't know how many colors I'll need. Just figure that out as I go.

Dave

When I started my layout, I purchased eight 100-foot spools of #22 solid-conductor hookup wire, each a different color. My only regret is that the orange and red are hard to tell apart under poor lighting. Otherwise I am very pleased to have the wide selection of colors. There are a few times where I needed stranded hookup wire, but for most things, the solid-conductor has worked well. Of course, I got some larger stranded wire for bus wiring.

- Jeff

So I'm looking at the power supplies you guy mentioned here. I just wanted to know if the 10a will be enough for powering the layout Lights and switches as well as multiple strips/ reels of LEDs. I was thinking of using the bile LEDs to light the layout to look like night.

I just wanted to know if the 10a will be enough for powering the layout Lights and switches as well as multiple strips/ reels of LEDs.

I'm having a party, will 2 6-packs be enough? See the problem? How many "layout lights"? What type of "layout lights"? How many switches? Two? Two hundred? What type? Stall, servo, twin coil? How many LEDs? Twenty, thirty, two hundred, three hundred? See where I'm going?

I have just under 100A (5 separate supplies) available for my room size (16' x 22') layout, though only 3' x 22' is currently under construction. That's for everything, DCC boosters, switches, panel lights, street lights, house lights, etc., etc.

How come I'm not at the party. I can bring 2 6 packs. That's good for me or maybe a few more. No problem. Lol
I know it was a question with no details but I did get my answer. The one isn't enough just add one more. I'm just thinking the Strip LED lights are sold with power supplies. I would rather buy the power supply for more then just a reel of led lights.

Dave

Well, I'm really clear about the power supplies now and feel I'm in a good place to start working with them. I do have a question (of course) about the connection the Digitrax DCC system to the power supply but that's far away now and I may already know the answer so I'm leaving that for now.

Now, I'm on to the DCC and servo for controlling the switches. I will move that to a different thread so this isn't a long drown out multiple discussion thread. Lets keep this tread about the layout power and how to supply all the little gadgets we all like to use.

Dave

Back