KT's Ameritown George's 5&10

bigken462

I'm about to start my 3rd lil Ameritown kit. The previous two I did not prime. I'm learning now that perhaps I should have before. Now the question is which one to use. I purchased both just to have the stock. I have Polly Scale paint to match the box pictures. Suggestions on which primer? And I'm assuming only enough to do a light coat? Also, how will the primer affect my efforts to do brick weathering? I recently purchased Robert's brick mortar and I was wondering if this thick primer would fill in the mortar grooves. I will also being using the airbrush for the first time on this kit if that makes any difference in procedure.

Thanks, more to follow as I progress. I know this kit is elementary to most, but it's still fun learning to do them.

Kenny

IMG0396-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would personally go with the grey. Its more of a neutral color/shade than the red. I have found that the more neutral in color the primer is, the better coverage you get out of the harder to cover colors like the reds, yellows, and some greens.

Thanks for the reply Carey, I done gave up on this thread. Actually today is my first off day since the post and I plan on giving it a good spray.

Good to see another Bama person on here.

Thanks,

Kenny

Cullman, down close to Smith Lake.

Today, I had a near Fubar attempt at painting my first set with the airbrush. I have an Iwata Eclipse CS. I had been practicing some, but quickly realized what I had thought was progress quickly faded. Lol

The prime coat from the rattle cans was quick and easy and I can see where it’s better to prime. But my troubles started before I even picked up the first part to paint. I had to move everything out the garage for the first time. Previously I had been using the AB inside my office hobby room/ computer room etc.
After about 8 trips back and forth, each time forgetting something. I would sit down and get ready to mix, I saw that I needed something else from inside the house and have to go fetch it. Also my lil nephew is here today, and must devote equal and safe time to him.

Eventually I got my paint mixed, but naturally it started to run in the high spots and not thick enough in the recesses. The light in my workspace was not near as good as I thought it was. I soon found out I had forgotten to make a temporary AB holder. Things was so unorganized that I decided just as soon as my second fill was used up, it was simply not worth the risk to mess up this project further since I was not in the mindset nor organized enough to move forward.

IMG0422-L.jpg

I got a crap load of learning to do before I move on to more expensive kits.

Kenny

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a far cry from anything worthy of posting on the Sunday morning showcase, but here is my latest effort. I really missed the mark with guessing the right color when trying to match with the box colors to the color charts on the puter. The front was supposed to have been a bunch lighter, but the CP Red paint was near Auburn orange once I got it in the mail. The walls was supposed to have been much darker, but the SP Daylight Red was just near as hideous as the other. I added a cc of freight car red to the mix and darkened it down a bunch. Also, I got sloppy with the black paint on the roof that was to hold the ballast down. As with the other two, by the time I was getting to the last stages, I was in a hurry to get them done, or either doing them after coming home from work to wind down before going to bed resulting in less than favorable results. Overall though, I still enjoyed building them and now trying to make my mind up to buy next.

IMG0484-L.jpg

IMG0489-L.jpg

Back