Kookie Coincidence

M

MHinLA

For a few days now I've had the idea that maybe we could mount the solenoid type Atlas switch motors under the subroadbed, vertically, having only the wisker poking through to the throw bar..mainly to quiet them up and hide wires. (Note: I don't own 1 Atlas motorized switch. My last layout was all ground throws). Just an idea that had hit me from out of nowhere.
Today, just for the halibut I happened to be looking on ebay for general prices of track..Boom ! Gads of Atlas 'under table' switch motors !! In all the many years of being in the hobby with mostly Atlas code 83, I never had any idea whatsoever this already existed ! If I hadn't found this out today, I'd be sitting here typing out a long treatus of my 'cool new idea' !! This then triggered the question: Why, seemingly, don't we ever see posts over this particular item; the pros and cons ?

they are not actually that common, at one time i used regular switches mounted to the bottom of turnouts, with the actuating lever being bent at an angle ..
the obvious benefit of not seeing this type of hidden mounting is offset by the increase of difficuly in mounting them properly ..

This then triggered the question: Why, seemingly, don't we ever see posts over this particular item; the pros and cons ?
Personally I knew about these. However I have never used them so I cannot discuss intelligently. Everytime I've gone to all the trouble of setting up an under table turnout motor I just go ahead and put in a stall motor type drive.

I moved away from the Atlas switch machines due to their being on top of the layout and the tending to burnout the internal wiring if power was applied too long to the machine. I graduated to N&J switch machines mounted on under the bench-work RIX mounting brackets. Now I used all Tortoise machines, but will consider ground throws for the new expansion yard.

I tossed all my Atlas switch machines and relays not knowing that there is a secondary market for those items on E Bay.

Nothing really wrong with the Atlas if used properly and I've seen them on club layout where the members needed access to the machines.

Greg

Back