Knives and other sharp objects

TLOC

The other day in the diner someone mentioned Xacto blades and Excel blades. They were unaware they were separate companies.

So, post the tools, blades, the knives and clippers that you use to model in your modeling space.
6BF4249C-6F6B-4E66-B008-F89D29A6A756.jpeg

Left to right. In the rubber bin are my various extra blades. I have hardware store replacement blades for the gray box cutter handle and for the yellow retractable cutter on the far right. Next are the 3 scalpel #4 handles shown under a single blade foil pack. I counted, there are 4 different scalpel blade packages in that little rubber bin. 2 pair of finger nail cutters only used on plastic or styrene. A couple little pocket blades with multiple blade choices, also for styrene only. The pearing knife that was dull and at the time was easier to buy new. When we moved there is a place in the city that sharpens and that is one sharp tool again. 6 of 14 handles that will hold Xacto blades, Excel blades and a nice blade from NicPro. Found the NicPro online after an online shop sent me a pack of #11 blades in an order as a freebee. Gifts are nice, but the blades were IMO pretty good. The blades numbers I stock are matches to XActo #24, 18, 19, 1, 11 and lots of 17. Surgical blades # are 23, 22, 21 and 20. I have a couple other blades but no handles that were samples from the company.
2F8CBF40-9D2E-45B1-9BC5-82C140B3C408.jpeg

the above picture is a used prescription bottle on the bench that is being pointed at by the maroon handle. It holds 4 handles with the different blades that I use the most.
A20BB78E-D85D-447D-B3FE-CE18A09B189B.jpeg

above is the blade drawer. Left to right, 1st 2 sections hold my hand saws with a few different blade types. The box cutter section. Handles for Xacto, Excel and Nicpro blades. The pearing knife that I use for basically scoring styrene along with and other handles.

I know not much different from what you have but let see what you’ve got for blades and knives

TomO

Tom: I guess it was me that didn't know that Excel and Xacto were different companies. You have a nice selection of cutting tools that sure beats my few dull blades!!!

Thanks again.

Greg

Tom: I guess it was me that didn't know that Excel and Xacto were different companies. You have a nice selection of cutting tools that sure beats my few dull blades!!!

Thanks again.

Greg
Thanks Greg. I have tried all types of blades because when I started scratch building I couldn‘t slice a straight line to snap the styrene due to blade wobble. One day a modeler from Wausau WI. asked what I Thought the reason was. Told him wrong blade, he said nope not sharp enough blades. He said change your blades more often. I found out he was right and I changes blades a lot now.

The surgical blades are by far in my mind the best. But, they are double the Xacto blades in price, lose the edge quicker, is tough to switch blades but does make a nicer slice which I believe is the most important.

Besides sharp blades for me to cut a good line is number one a comfortable handle. Like pulp wood cars I seem to have a passion for handles and I rarely leave a train show without buying at least one. 2015 at The Mad City Train show in Madison, Wi. I purchased 6 different handles from the Tool Lady. She went to a box and gave me 2 for free. One disappeared when we (actually Terry) hosted a open house for a politican. They were her special handles for folks like me who she said are not rare birds. The other helpful to me is a good metal straight edge that has a grip surface to keep it from slipping.

I often will give away my handles that I no longer use. I might have owned over 100 handles since ai retired in 2014.

TomO

Last edited:
Not many here, the usual assortment.
IMG_8419.JPG

I only went for knives, I also have the Xuron rail nipper like Ken pictured on the left of his photo.
I have 5 boxes of those single edge razor blades as a gift from a vendor who I dealt with in my job in the window industry. Different vendor gifted me with the chrome carton cutter also pictured here.
I also have a whetstone and resharpen most of my Exacto blades.

Back