Kitbashing a VIA F40PH-2

CP9302

Hi everyone. Some interest was shown in how I modiffied my Walthers F40PH to more accurately represent a VIA Rail F40PH-2. So I kept my camera handy as I worked on my next VIA F40. The following pictures show the changes I've made to the shell. Once I have the frame and fuel tank modiffied, I'll add pictures of that too. If there is interest I can add some photos of the painting and decalling as well.
Please note that this is NOT an exact scale replica of an F40PH-2, but a closer match than the Walthers kit. This has also been a "clean out the parts bin" type project. I have used parts I have on hand instead of ordering the exact part. As an example, the winterization hatch is from a proto SD60, so it is not an exact match. Miniatures by Eric makes many parts speciffic to this model if you are interested in using the "real" part.
Anyway, lets get down to it...

The first photo is of the stock Walthers F40PH with all the detail to be removed marked in red.

The second photo shows the shell after I removed the details marked in the first photo.

The last photo shows all the parts I added and built to complete the shell. The next stop for this shell is the paint booth for a coat of primer.

I hope these photos will proove useful to someone. If you have any questions, please ask and I'll answer as best I can.

Gee, just when I thought I was the only one...

I've just started the same project, but with parts ordered from MBE and lots off the detail parts racks of my LHS.

I'm not going to mill the frame for the proper fuel tank size and location, and I haven't decided if I'll relocate the rear sand filler hatches and engine access door...

I'm working to reproduce #6415, so there's a few differences (at least prior to VIA's reworking of it) from yours.

The pics I've seen show flat intake fans, not the domed Q style. So that's what mine's getting. I've also managed to kitbash a reasonable facsimile of the cab air conditioner unit out of a Details West 'vapour' part.

More to come as work progresses.

Thanks for the A/C pics Curator, I'll need to build some of those for future F40 projects. I also noticed the sand hatches on the nose, I missed those on my model. Oops.
And I thought I was the only one modelling Via F40's too!

Here are some pics of the painting and decalling of VIA 6403, the CBC 50th anniversary unit.

I plan to start on the fuel tank and chasis mods soon and will post photos of that as well as final detailing and weathering in the future.

AWSOME, Tuesday the model railroad tips website will be up and running, those image formats would be more then welcome there!

Hi Fred, a fantastic how to do it. I've been following the thread and will be looking forward to seeing how you do the frame, tanks etc. and of course the finished model. Looking great so far.

13.gif
Willis

CP9302 said:
Thanks for the A/C pics Curator, I'll need to build some of those for future F40 projects. I also noticed the sand hatches on the nose, I missed those on my model. Oops.
And I thought I was the only one modelling Via F40's too!

Here are some pics of the painting and decalling of VIA 6403, the CBC 50th anniversary unit.

I plan to start on the fuel tank and chasis mods soon and will post photos of that as well as final detailing and weathering in the future.
Nice job on the CBC unit!

This is my first-ever kitbash and it's turned out to be quite the learning experience.

The pics show where to cut the DW part. Cut the yellow first, then the red, discarding the piece in between. When making the red cut, it's best to cut from the bottom of the part, aligning the cutting blade with the inside edge of the 'rim'. Sand and file the cut sides on the two remaining pieces to flush fit them, and glue. Once the glue had dried, sand the top smooth and you're done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished the Cannon kits. What a difference from the moulded-on fans!

Next up - the Walthers grille set.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cannon's kits are definitely amazing. The amount of detail and cusomization they pack in is mind boggling.

You're making some good progress!

Its Almost Done!!

After many set backs and disapointments I finally managed to make a mould of the fuel and air tanks for my F40PH-2 project. I had hoped to speed up future F40 projects by creating a mould, but as it is my first attempt at this, it took much longer then I thought. And while not up to Kaslo standards, I'm happy with the results and look forward to trying more casting in the future.

Anyway, the first photo shows how I modified the chassis to put ditch lights in as well as my mould and castings. The second photo shows the engine fully detailed and painted. All that is left to do is wiring the decoder and weathering. I hope to finnish this weekend.

Its Done!!

It took longer than expected, but I have finished my VIA 6403 model.

I painted all the grills with a thinned black paint and then air brushed the roof line with black and the lower body with raw sienna.

This is a terrific model, it's such a unique paint scheme, I doubt we'll see another of these anytime soon.

I'd be interested to here more about your fiber optic class light installation if you get the chance.

Chris

I'll give you 10/10 for this topic, what a great looking loco that is, hope to see more of your work soon

Hi !

I'm new on this forum ! First of all i'm not the better in english, i find this topic on Google by searching for VIA F40...

I'm started to make a Spiderman version and i want to know if someone have a idea for the yellow ang gray paint to use ? I prefer oil base.

Someone have change the grill on the model, wich one you use ?

If anyone have any idea about this model it's very appreciate to knoe that. i'm just beginning with my model.

I come From around Quebec city and my main interrest in HO are CN. It's my first VIA.

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english again !

Fred that is awesome work, well done!
I showed to the bro' in law, he's impressed by your work as well! (He is the director of VIA Rail West)
I'm planning on modeling VIA sometime in the future, he gives me a hard time because I run Amtrak on the layout!

ccool, I'm not aware of any commercially available paints for VIA colours. I mixed mine. As for the grills, S&S Hobby Products makes photo etched grills if you want to replace them. I have a set, and they look really nice. My next F40 will have them on it.

I'd recommend using the Walthers F40 kit as your starting point. It runs very well, and has nice detail. Not as good as the Kato, but far less costly and easier to rebuild. The Bachmann F40 is a nightmare to put DCC in, so I wouldn't use that one.

Best of luck on your F40 project.

Thanks for the compliments Rico, glad your brother in law liked it. Nice to know I captured the prototype that well.

HI !

THanks for your answer !

I already have the walters F40 and i just started to remove the door and the fan.

For the grills, you have change all of them or just this one on the back ?

You tell that you have a set, it's a "extra" set or it's just the set that you have take for your model ?

If you have the possibility to give me the number part i will order them.

THanks !

Back