Kit-Bashing of buildings, Contest announced!!!

Greg, I thought everyone knew that the contest was to be one building as entry into the contest. Upon looking over the rules, I discovered that Rule 8). was not clear enough and added a modification to Rule 8. Please inform me what building in your group you are going to use as your entry. Also, be informed that you can supply up to 3 photos of the building.

Mark, I'm passing on entering any of my buildings in the contest. But, wouldn't one kit bashed building constructed out several individual buildings combined together be considered a single building in the contest?

Greg

Greg, Kit-Bashing is the use of a kit, two; or, more kits of the same kit; or, all together different kits to produce a building unlike the intended building produced by the original kit. In your photo, I see many buildings and have no idea what building(s) you have Kit-Bashed and are entering the contest with. It is certainly your call, to enter; or, not enter the contest. If you are going to enter, please take photos of only the building you are entering, and submit those photos you can post up to three photos of your entry.

Hope everything is clear now!

Greg, after my explanation to you, are you still withdrawing from the Contest? Unless I hear otherwise from you, I will assume you have withdrawn?

I have been working on this bridge now for over a couple years. Sometimes there is little progress for months at a time while other times I have nothing else to do. I doubt I will be finished with this and have it installed on the layout in time for this contest. This isn't a kit but scratch built using photos and estimates.
0316171440b.jpg

Yes, it is an awesome bridge! It is scratch built out of many, many, bridge kits, so technically it fits the criteria for this Kit-Bash Contest. However, it does need to be completed and in use on a layout for, it's consideration as a winner.

I had been following along on this build and am very interested in it's progress. Haven't seen much on it lately, where did this thread go?

I built this large paint factory that once was in Oakland, CA. I built it from childhood memories of living in the Montclair hills. The big animated Neon sign would glow in the fog at night and you could see it from far away. The model has an animated neon sign too.

The model was made from a couple of Walthers 933-2970 "Railroad Shop" kits. All the windows are Tichty Train Group with some grant Line stuff too. The roof was carved out of a large block of wood.

Sometime after building it, I found photos of the real thing. It was pretty close in style to the model - all accidental I assure you.

I has interior details, and lighting that looks like florescent lights so common in industrial plants. tanks are on the distant end for various chemicals and one of the sidings supports unloading hoses and a pump house.

SWP-FRONT-1-S.jpg

Attachments

• SWP-SHIPPING-BAY-1-S.jpg
    SWP-SHIPPING-BAY-1-S.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 168
Your in the contest, Charles Smiley. Very nice Paint Plant!

Seven days left in this contest. the winner will be announced on Monday the 1st of April! get you entries in and remember you can post up to three photos of your entry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, here's my entry for the kitbash contest.

I converted the "walthers greatland-sugar" industry into a "Canadian National Express" facility.
I cut off one story of the original kit, then I added shipping doors, docks, lighting, signs etc.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 2018-09-25 15.40.44M.jpg
    2018-09-25 15.40.44M.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 234
  • 2019-03-18 15.05.48M.jpg
    2019-03-18 15.05.48M.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 240
  • 2019-03-18 15.06.14M.jpg
    2019-03-18 15.06.14M.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 224
Thank you for your "likes"; Yannis, Max Diyer, and Sirfoldalot, they're very much appreciated.
Migalyto thank you also for your "like" and compliments; I will eventually post photos of my other buildings.
Thank you

It is Thursday once again, the last Thursday in this contest. You have four days left to submit your entry. As of today, 3/28/2019 at 6;21 AM there are eight (8) entries in this contest. Any more?

Last edited by a moderator:
This contest ends tonight at 12:00 Midnight (24 hundred if you use the 24 hour clock). The winner will be announced tomorrow some time. The book being given away for the prize, has a copy for sale for $15.00 on Ebay at this time. I'm somewhat surprised at the lack of participation here at the Model Railroad Forum; however, overall there seems to be a lack of participation here at this forum, anyway.

Good Luck!

GarryCBQ has been chosen as the inner of my contest. The size and overall impact of this building simply made it the clear winner for me. I hope everyone can agree that this should be the winner. However, if you can't, then I suggest you start a contest of your own! Thanks to all 8 contestants for entering. It's been fun! GarryCBQ has been notified of his building being the winner. He has until 12:00 midnight, next Sunday to claim his prize, if he doesn't a new winner will be chosen.

Again, thanks for your posts and entries!

Yes congrats Garry, very impressive structure!
And thanx Mark for getting us posting photos again!

Back