Kid wants to get started in model railroading!

DanielP

Hello everyone!

I am interested in starting a model railroad. I'm just a kid and I don't have too much money at my disposal. Everything on the internet seems so expensive!

Does anyone have any tips on how to get started 'on a budget'?

Thanks!

That's great!

My advice is start with an all in one box set. They're cost effective and get you started fast and easy. Most of us here started that way. Don't over complicate to begin. Yes, you may eventually get bored with a simple layout and basic trains. But better than not starting. There's always time to expand and improve if you start. My suggestion is get a 4x8 foot sheet of 2" insulation foam and set up your set on that. It's light and easy to move. Modeltrainstuff.com and trainsetsonly.com are two good places to look.

Some key decisions you should make first:

What scale? The most common are o, ho, and n. N is quite small. You can fit more track in your space, but it can be harder to work with. Ho is the most popular and middle of the road. O is the biggest. You won't get more than a loop on a 4x8 sheet, and it will be more "toylike" in that kind of space. I use ho myself.

What kind of trains do you like? "Old time" trains from the 1800s? Steam engines? Diesel? Ultra modern high speed trains? Just pick what you like and see what's available. Some choices (like steam engines) will limit your scale: there are a lot less of them available in n scale, and they'll be awfully big in o scale...

If funds are truly tight, check ebay. You can often find starter sets there for cheap. But for now I'd rather see you get brand-new from an established retailer if you can. Just less "variable" to it.

And ask many questions. That's why we hang out here.

1st, I think it's awesome that you're younger and want to get started!

I think the above kinda hit it on the head but maybe I can offer some advice or give you a few questions to ask yourself...do you have any preferences as far as what kind of locomotive you want to start with? Steam, Diesel, Electric? How about scales and sizes? Any preference there? Is it something you'll have space for year round or will you be setting up and taking it down regularly?

Everyone will have a different opinion but I think it's best to remember this: "Buy what you like"--don't get wrapped up in what's highly collectible or what's a "model train" and a "toy train". There is an old term in racing, "run whatcha brung"...Get yourself a train you like and have fun with it, it's that simple.

I would think a nice Lionel O gauge ready to run starter set is the way to go. You can pick up something like the Polar Express at retail fairly easy and from there you can build off that without ever having to buy another set again if you don't want to. Fast track is super easy to set up, requires minimal maintenance and is really user friendly. Once you get that going you can always buy different engines, powered units, rolling stock, buildings...really after your initial set your building potential is endless!

Trains can definitely be expensive but there are deals, sales and people willing to help. Ask my buddy Bruette...I must have said "I'm not buying anything for awhile" 3 times already and found 3 deals that I pulled the trigger on! It happens and if it means enough to you, you'll adjust your budget and find your collection growing with time.

Also, I'm one of the guys with limited space. I'm currently building a small test track area and my "real" layout generally runs from late Oct early Nov to Jan...which will change soon but that's what it's been for awhile. I've gotten really creative with space and haven't let it stop me from collecting and having fun. If you have ANY questions regarding anything I said please feel free to give a shout. I'd love to help the younger crowd get turned on to something like this. Hope you get a train soon and post more!

If you can find a model railroad show/flea market, you will come home with more stuff for the dollar. If you don't mind used that is. Look everything over carefully and offer the seller a little less and you can get some great buys.

I don't know where you are, but if you are in the Dayton, Ohio area, there is a big 2 day FM coming up Nov. 1&2 at the Hara Arena. Check the MR website for shows in your area.

I am interested in starting a model railroad. I'm just a kid and I don't have too much money at my disposal. Everything on the internet seems so expensive!

Does anyone have any tips on how to get started 'on a budget'?
I got started with one of those magazine books. Back in the day they were $1, but I found mine at a thrift store for $0.25. Read that book until the cover and the first few and last few pages went away.

You might see if there are any model railroad clubs in your area i find you can find some guys changing track and equiment and they may sell it off. cheaper

I'd avoid most 'train sets" .Most are poor running. Find out where you can find old Athearn "bluebox" kits for under 10 Dollars and start with a few boxcars. Don't be impatient or think a "set" will solve anything for the long term. But don't listen to just me either.

Get a current copy of Modell railroader. look for the listed train shows and flea-market events. That's much better than risking it on ebay.

Good hunting...

Well, thanks everyone!

I've looked at some starter sets.. They seem rather expensive ($150-$200). Still, I'm sure SOME are under $100.

@Charles Smiley: what exactly is a "Bluebox" and where can I buy one?

Thanks!

G'day Daniel,.Already some great advice...I won't add too much except ...With your first set or pieces of equipment once you decide on the scale that suits you..it'd be great if you can go to a train show or a hobby store to see for real .. Buy new with a warranty if you can..Second hand stuff can be very problematic unless you get it for next to nothing.
The other tip is this..IF you decide to buy a good starter set with track , power control , locomotive/s and rolling stock..if it's at all possible try to go with a brand that allows you to run them DCC (Digital Command Control) either initially or with a Plug and Play or Ready to Run compatibility...or even Dual Mode...As time goes on Analog (DC) is becoming rarer and if you have a small budget there's not a lot to gain buying DC only equipment.. Some.Athearn RTR locos can often be bought for $50-60 and you can run them DC as they come with a non DCC controller but if you decide to go digital that same loco only requires you to add an 8 pin decoder , maybe $25-30 for digital running and takes all of five minutes to upgrade...Other manufacturers have similar easy Plug and Play upgrade options...The price gap between DC and DCC is not much at all now so you'd be best advised to allow a little extra initially and have the best of both worlds..Take your time , explore all your options and you'll have a great hobby that'll last you the rest of your life..Charles and the guys are also very right about Model Railroader magazine and a Model Rail book..These are a very very good read and very helpful... Keep us posted as you progress...Good luck...Cheers Rod...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Daniel! Glad to have you onboard!

What about Santa? Santa brought me a Tyco Spirit of 76 RTR (ready to run) set for Christmas in 1974. Any Chance you could put a train set on your list for Santa?

Tyco was the cheapest set available but I loved it and it is what led me to enjoy trains so much now. I would have loved it even more if it came with the new sectional track with road bed. Such Bachmann's EZ track, but that was not available in the 70s.

The RTR sets with track like that are the place to begin if you want my opinion. Keep it simple to start with, learn the basics first. Save your extra money, add to and upgrade your railroad empire as you can, just like the real railroads did!

Amazon has a great starter set http://www.amazon.com/Bachmann-Trains-Digital-Commander-Ready/dp/B000BPPNWE under $210 with 2 DCC locomotives, rolling stock, track and a basic DCC command controller!!! I think that is the perfect entry into the hobby!

Here is another link to my local hobby shop and one of the cheapest on the internet for more HO sets. http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/HO-S...htm?searching=Y&sort=1&cat=334&show=60&page=1 Many under $100

I have to give you a link to some Lionel sets! http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/O-Ga...=Y&sort=1&cat=333&brand=Lionel&show=30&page=1

I personally prefer Lionel O gauge myself now, but it can stretch your budget. HO is the most economical of all scales and has the most products available. N is growing fast and great when space is limited.

Don't let limited space stop you from enjoying what ever size train you want to run. As RedRyder77 points out, you can be creative in how you enjoy your railroad. Many people have RTR sets they set up on the floor and put away when they are finished. There is no prefect way or right or wrong way, just have fun with your trains!

Many will say "go big or go home", "do it right or don't do it" and many other things like that, but I disagree any set you start with will be fine, just get started!

Rodney brought up a great point about used equipment, it most certainly can be problematic! I would recommend you stay away from used equipment to begin with. When you have more experience and can make repairs then eBay and other sources for used equipment will be fine.

One of your best resources can be your local library. As other have mentioned reading about the hobby is a great way to enhance your enjoyment of the hobby.

Don't let anyone tell you how or what to run with your railroad. You are the CEO and you make all the decisions, we are your advisors, nothing more.

As CJ one of our most esteemed forum members and future hall of fame model railroader (in my mind) is fond of saying "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask"

I am very happy to see a "kid wants to get started in model railroading"

Don't be a stranger, you made my day with this thread!

You ROCK young man!

That set Bruette pointed out is a great option! Might have to pick that up for my son for Xmas... dcc and all, wow!

Also, bear in mind the sets many of us started with 20+ years ago, usually from Tyco, were truly junk/toys. The current ones, typically by bachmann, are far better... i own some super high end locomotives that cost many hundreds just by themselves, but i also own several "basic bachmann" locos, and they run on my layout regularly and quite nicely.

Here is ideal to save your money if your up to it. G o online find a ad for something you want print the page hand it to your folks a say christmas coming. Can't say it will work but you never know.

"Bluebox" was a vast line of HO scale models from Athearn. They came in blue boxes as simple to build kits. They have been supplanted by newer and more expensive items from Athearn. But they were made in the millions and as luck would have it they are crammed in closets in a seemingly endless supply. Look for probate sales and flea market sales.

Here's a link with pictures of what to look for...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ath...v&sa=X&ei=Q0w9VO2hCObBigKskoCwDA&ved=0CDgQsAQ

Hi Daniel, Welcome to the forums here. Where are you located, and what is your age? I hope you don't mind my asking, I'm just trying to get a better idea of how to help you out? Also is your dad or anyone else going to help you out in building your layout? I also give you credit for posting here as well as your writing skills. As your seeing there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here with lots of suggestions but it can get very confusing on where the best place to begin is, as your probably already finding out.

I'm one of the Old Timers on here and been in this hobby for the last 62 years so I seen a lot of changes and built six different HO layouts of one type or another.

1st. Deciding on what scale you'd like to start with, 'O, S, HO or N' scale, is to a large extent determined by the space you are going to have to set up a layout in? In case your not aware already, N scale is the smallest in the above list and will allow you to fit in twice as much as HO as it half the size of HO, conversely HO is half the size of O scale with 'S' Scale in between. Not meaning to confuse the issue but each of the scales listed above also have their narrow gauge versions, such as HOn3, which runs on narrower track and is smaller equipment size than standard HO or per which ever scale your referring too but buildings and people are still HO size or the respective size your refering to. HO is probably the least costly to acquire various piece of equipment for too with more available depending on the era you going to be in. I'm going to assume you prefer Diesels so just be sure you choose smaller Loco's that will handle an 18” to 22” radius as well as the cars you get, stay with the shorter car lenghts to handle the tighter curves you'll probably have, you don't want your tracks right on the edge of your layout if you can help it either.

Of course that's assuming your going to want some kind of continuous run type of layout?

A simple switching type of layout can be a lot of fun too and can be just a straight board with a switching track plan laid out on it or even a L shape design which ads even more interest.

So determining the space you have to set up your layout-in is the main issue to begin with, but realize too that in many cases a layout or a portion of one can extend over a desk etc. at a reasonable height, depending on your height, so you can still use the desk but also have at least a portion of your layout above it to give you a bigger layout to operate on. This does require you have the ability to build some supporting table work that will hold your actual layout as you don't want to attach it to the walls of the room, so maybe your dad or other older friend can help you out in building the main table work for the OSB board to lay on top of. I mentioin OSB as it's less costly than plywood or at least it was.

*Now, this is only meant as an example: The usual beginning layout in HO scale is an oval of track on a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood which is what most train sets start with due to their track included, and while it does allow to run an engine and a few cars around it tends to get very tiring and old quickly due to lack of variation if all you have is just the oval. Don't misunderstand though as I also realize your funds are limited making it harder to do anything too extensive but there are simple ways to get many of the needed supplies at reasonable prices if not free to build your basic table work with? Take a look at the table work I built to get an idea. If your near a lumber yard they often have a scrap box and in most cases they'll give you the various pieces that happened to get cut off from a customers purchase that they don't want. Also if you have any construction of homes going on in your area they usually always have scrap pieces of lumber, maybe even some plywood or OSB roofing board made of the large chips of wood glued together, they will probably give you if you ask them for it. Just look for boards that are straight when you site along their edge. I'm using OSB board myself for the basic table top on which I put sound board and lay the track on top of it directly or put the cork road bed on it and then my track.
Continued>

Being that your starting out on a limited budget I'd highly suggest you start with a smaller size layout but that doesn't mean it can't built something a bit larger in an 'L' shape and even with return loops at either end for continuous running when you want, and you can even have some different elevations to your track plan too. Many guys seem to want a double track main line but this going to cost twice a much to purchase the track. Also when you consider that many branch line were only a single line it becomes a lot more realistic and less costly and can be just as fun and rewarding.

A dog bone style layout, and elongated oval bent at a Right angle lends itself very well to an L shape layout and opens up your possibilities of separating towns and businesses as you get further along. Don't be too quick to glue things down so that if you want to make changes you can do so fairly easily with little of no hassle.

To make an L shape layout get two lenghts of 1/2” [7/16” to be precise], OSB board 2' by 4'- l' or 8' long depending on the space you have, which will but together long against the short edge and suse a scrap piece about 8” or wider x 2' long as a tie plate under the seam and screw the boards to it with short dry wall Philips head screws to hold them together. That will form the L for either a switching or, then by getting two half sheets of OSB 4' x 4' to again attach to the ends of the L section again with tie plates similar to the other and put screws on each side of the seam. Short Dry screws work just fine and hold very good the only thing you'll need to do is drill the proper size hole down through top board and into the tie plate below with a counter sink V bit so the heads of the screws are somewhat flat with the top of the wood. This prevents splitting. You'll also probably need to cut one 45*degree triangle that is at least 12 to 16”s alone each 90* side to fit into the inside corner where the two long pieces are joined together and again a couple of smaller tie plates will be needed to screw on either side of the joint. This will allow added room for the track to cure around on that inside edge.

Normally for an adult, a reach over of about 30”s is maximum which I'm finding out where I increased my table width here and there. Oh, hopefully you'll have room on two sides where the 4' x 4' sections are, to get to them on two sides. A step stool with a handle to stand on really comes in handy for this and I use mine all the time.

So if you can build such an L shape type layout it not only really opens up your viewing of seeing the your trains making both Right hand and also Left hand turns which really creates a lot more enjoyment of operation both visually as well as space wise to create more scenes on with more space between them. If on the dog bone layout you work in the back elevation being a bit higher than the front that also adds to the diversity of things and gives more separation.

I would suggest you look here on the forum and in some of the railroading magazines, there are even some on line free to look at and get an idea of what era you'd like to model and by an individual Loco of the road name you want to model and smaller cars that go along with the road name, but that doesn't mean you can't also have other cars from the outside on your line from time to time but things will fit together better if they somewhat fit within the area and time period you decide on. Also by purchasing individual cars and Loco's you can choose just the type and style your looking for rather than having to settle on whatever comes in a set. Not my preference.
Continued>

Also, most starter sets don't come with too great of a transformer so that's something you might want to purchase separately. MRC makes several decent ones, get one with momentum and breaking.

As far as trying to decide between straight DC & DCC consider the fact that DCC is going to cost you considerable more to get started and most everything associated with it gets fairly costly. If your like me, in the beginning and even later on your going to be a lone operator and one Loco or say two double headed on one train is all your going to operate as all a single engineer can realistically control at one time anyway, as we are moving cars down the line to their destination to be dropped of and others picked up.

Most loco's produced at this time if ready to run usually come with the decoder plug-in socket so later on you can get a decoder but the necessary equipment required to allow you to control the loco and control the sounds get's fairly costly and that's not what you need or want right now.

'DC' is very easy to hook up especially if your only going to run one loco at a time or possibly double head. I run straight 'DC' and can help you with it as the wiring is a snap if your larger dog bone track plan is all going to to be one large loop it's just the two wires you need to connect to allow your loco to run around. If you have two loco though and want to have one parked while operating the other you'll need to divide your track into two blocks or at least have a siding, where the track is separated. The same power simply runs through a connector switch to turn the power on or off to that block which does require feeder wires be connected to it so it can have it power turned on or off while the power is on in the other block which can have it's own connector also with it's own & off switch power switch. There are three on & off switches to each Atlas connector.

As far a any turnouts you are going to have just use a simple sprung ground throw by Caboose industries, it's the least expensive and gets you in on the action more acting like both engineer as well as switchman.

I have most all these supplies available to purchase if your interested?

Hope this helps?

Welcome to the hobby. Me and my son started out with a Bachmann starter set. Comes with everything to need to have fun. Comes with locos, cars, plug and play power supply and some come with a few additional accessories for around $100. If you download the Hobby Lobby app on your phone you can get a 40% off coupon daily for 1 item. Which would bring the cost to approx $60. Can't beat that to get started. Play with that to get your feet wet and see what you like and move up from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum and the Hobby!!! Everyone of my "sets" that I have had in the past, only one of the engines or cars remains on the active roster of the Knoxville Southern (my railroad), and is a steam locomotive currently in the shop for pilot truck work. I agree with the guys, get you some ATHEARN cars (Blue Box is really good and cheap and will last FOREVER) and a athearn diesel or a nicer Bachmann steam locomotive and start from their. Set up a little layout that you could add too. Then begin adding more cars and engines and scenery, pretty soon you go from 2 steam locomotives, 5 passengers and a bunch of other old rolling stock to 80+ steam and diesel and countless freight and passenger cars (that is what happened to me). It becomes an obsession. Just remember to have fun, and be patient, Ebay can easily become your best friend. Look for train shows in your area you find some AMAZING deals. Don't be misconceived about a set or a thing that looks like a great steal, the guys on this forum have helped me immensely, and I am sure they will help you too! Good luck in the Hobby, you learn a lot and have a ton of fun doing it! Remember to ask questions, because any problem you may have, I am sure one of us have gone through too! Hope this helps!

Back