KCS Gray

Im sure this has been already beat to death but does anyone have a good mixture formula or single paint suggestion that matches the KCS white. I am custom painting a CP Rail SD40-2 that was purchased from KCS in 1992. Thanks.

White paint is always too "white" for a model. Same goes for black. The first thing I do with any bottle of white is to add about eight drops of black to it. It still looks white on the model, but it cuts that stark "refrigerator white" look. It WILL take on a light gray look in the bottle, but still looks white on the model. You could always add a bit more to your taste, but be careful, it will go from looking white to looking gray real quick on the model.

Same goes for black. I always add an overtone color to black. Usually white to gray it a bit, but adding light tone browns can also be very effective.

Mark.

While toning down paints with their opposites is an old painters trick, when you are new to painting, everything old is new again. (Reminders me of a song... Plus I'm old, according to my daughter!):cool:

While toning down paints with their opposites is an old painters trick, when you are new to painting, everything old is new again. (Reminders me of a song... Plus I'm old, according to my daughter!):cool:

Hey ! .... Are you saying I'm old ? .... too ? ;)

Mark.

Back