Kato vs. Athearn G.

I dunno about the Mac's but Dash 9 wise, Athearn RTR. The motor in the Kato is the only plus.

I have a few Genesis MAC's, and all run great. Even the 3 "scrap" units I got on eBay.

I say Kato for an SD70MAC, the details are flimsy on the Athearn version, Kato's pull a heck of alot better also.

IMO the kato one is better. Working ditch lights that you don't have to spend three hours installing, lots of details more so that the Athearn Genesis, great motors, and the paint jobs aren't shabby either.

What are you comparing between the two?

-Smoke

Get the one you like better, they both have their plusses and minuses which have been previously discussed at length. Me? I have some of each and like the Athearn a little better.

I like the Genesis better. It is far more detailed then the Kato. Kato has too many molded on parts that look big and clunky by todays standards. The only thing Kato has going for it is the drive system. A little better than the Genesis.

No matter which you choose, you'll be getting a great engine.

I'm siding with Fred for the reasons he stated. I hate the fact that Kato has so many molded on parts, that even Athearn gave up YEARS ago.

Smoke's talk of the ditch lights is valid, up until you speak of the run coming out on a few months.
* Researched from the prototype to match specific units
* Genesis driveline with dynamically balanced five pole skew wound motor and dual flywheels
* Directional constant lighting
* Highly detailed fuel tank
* Cab interior
* Working ditch lights
* Factory installed Celcon handrails
* Multi-part HTCR truck sideframes
* Equipped with Quick Plug DCC technology

However, you can be rebel, and swap a Kato motor into the Genesis...

I'd say, go to a hobby shop and handle one of each, and pick by your own impressions!

I have both Kato and Athearn C44-9W but the trucks on Kato look way too big for me to be on scale. Same for you?
Yes. However, they have the only early version Dash 9 truck. That leaves me using a Kato sideframe...

I disliked the molded on sand fillers, and the fact that they, same as Rail Power, only did early version Dash 9's.

Back