Kato Locomtives

conrail92

Im looking into buying a kato sd80mac from kato and i was wondering what other people thought of kato. And just like to kno if your happy with you kato loco or do you regret buying it?

Kato is probably one of the best brands out there. I have a couple of them that are current runners and a whole pile more in the "add decoders and detail" bin.

Kato tend to be smooth runners, and some folks buy them for the mechanism to put under other shells....

Kennedy

My 5 New York Central SD70MACs are Katos, and I am VERY HAPPY going with Kato instead of Athearn Genesis. Katos not only run better than Athearn, but the details on the SD70s are much better than on the Athearn counterparts.

In addition, I've got two Kato SD80s and two Kato SD90s that will eventually be painted in lightning stripe:

IMG_4724.jpg

I love my Genisus SD75I's because of the detail and smoothness... I'd hope their SD70MAC runs the same... However my LONE Kato Mech SD40-2 runs awsome... I'd say you're in good hands.

I also like Kato even though I don't own any right now. I hope they come out with an affordable ES44AC.

So at least the run smoth. And i reccommended an ES series. As to lower the prices of Tower 55's ES44's

thnx ill probly go with kato, a bit pricy but worth it, i own a sd70 mac atheran genesis i like it but its not exactly the smoothest running, and i want a nice powerful locomotive for my mainline operrations, and sd80mac is one of my favorite loco's. And i want a nice loco for my layout

Kato's are awesome! But if you want something that pulls even better than a Kato, buy a Proto 2000, there totally awesome! I own two P2k's, and I'll never regret buying them!

Kato did indeed make a NS SD80MAC,
37-6345-500.jpg

Looks great, eh? As you can see, the detail is quite good. While I'm not sure if they'd still have some in stock, or whether most stores would either, I'm sure you'd be able to find one if you looked hard enough.

conrail92 said:
how are they on detail level and do they make an NS sd80?

Proto 2000's detail is even better than Kato. But they dont make a SD80MAC, you'll have to buy a Kato for that model. The newest series that Proto 2000 made is the SD60 Series. Who knows, maybe Wathers/P2K will make a SD80 in the future, you never know.:)

kato still makes them and ebay has one for 100 im very tempted to buy it they have a few actualy, and kato still has them in stock

Okanagan/David,

Regarding Proto2K, one thing: SD9

After running (and pushing) those turkeys, anything P2K is going to be researched carefully prior to purchase.

JeffShultz said:
Okanagan/David,

Regarding Proto2K, one thing: SD9

After running (and pushing) those turkeys, anything P2K is going to be researched carefully prior to purchase.

Are you saying that theres trouble with the P2K SD9? Because theres not one single problem with my 2 sd60's, exept that everyone that see's them won't stop commenting about them:D , there two awesome locomotives!

Back