Kato GP-35 Handrails

meanjean

Need some help finding these. Kato is out of stock. Have not seen any on ebay. I tried a set of plastic? (what ever they are called) rails from Athearn but they dont work. Nor does the metal BB handrails. Any help would be great. My LHS was of no help.

Thanks for any ideas.

Instead of using the plastic Athearn set, have you tried making your own out of steel/brass wire and stanchions from Smokey Valley or even using some old Athearn metal stanchions.

Morning Chad. I went out to Kato's website, WWW.KatoUSA.com, and also looked to see if they had any GP-35 Handrails in stock,but I too have struck out. They are currently out of stock at Kato. You might also look at Smokey Valley Railroad products in the Walther's Catalog. According to the catalog,a handrail set is offered for the GP-35,but I don't know if it is available. Hope this helps.William.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always order a set of handrail stanchins that will "work" and drill out the stanchions and replace with brass wire. I did this with a SD45 and it wasn't too hard, just takes a little bit of patience.

IMG_4436.jpg

I'll second the Smokey Valley stanchions idea. It's reasonably easy to use .015 brass wire to form the handrails. Micro Mark even has a cheap jig you can buy to form complex curves.

Back