Kato crossings

Meddyliol

I use Kato track and cannot quite understand how to use the Kato 20-300 or 20-301 crossings. I am probably thick or something. I have looked everywhere to see a sample layout with the crossing(s) in use. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

You're referring to the 15 degree crossings, correct? Interesting that they have one product for left crossing and one for right crossing. I wonder why the piece isn't just a symmetrical X shape? Why different crossing for left versus right if it's just a 15 degree crossing?

I found this online. It seems these are designed such that the crossing diagonal piece is slightly longer than the straight-through piece. This is so the piece has the same overall length when measured along the "main line," if you will. You can visualize that in the second screen shot.

1670435632395.png

1670435729231.png

Last edited:
You're referring to the 15 degree crossings, correct? Interesting that they have one product for left crossing and one for right crossing. I wonder why the piece isn't just a symmetrical X shape? Why different crossing for left versus right if it's just a 15 degree crossing?
I totally agree

I got lucky with a google search, LOL! I learned something... never realized that these were designed to keep overall length the same by having teh diagonal piece slightly longer then the straight-thru piece.

Let's call the top track #1, the middle track #2, and the bottom track #3. And lets say tracks #1 and #3 have the top rail as positive and track #2 has the bottom rail as positive. If I use the 15 degree crossing to cross track #2 going from track #3 to track #1, do I have to install any wiring to isolate track #2?

Let's call the top track #1, the middle track #2, and the bottom track #3. And lets say tracks #1 and #3 have the top rail as positive and track #2 has the bottom rail as positive. If I use the 15 degree crossing to cross track #2 going from track #3 to track #1, do I have to install any wiring to isolate track #2?
I don't believe so. I believe they are isolated sets of tracks

I just finished looking at these crossings, this thread makes it clear as mud…

I wondered too why they need a left and right... I mean cant you just tilt the same thing 15 deg and be happy? Aparently not.. :confused:
As i uderstand it is about the way the power is isolated right?
Back in the day anything like this would be fully isolated iirc. you would need to cross feed it yourself. (grumble)

Edit oh i see now that is has nothing to do with power routing or anything like that, Jeff H's post shows exactly why a right wont work as a left or right in wrong place.
I'll.. just... get... my coat.
😳💨

Last edited:

Back