Kato 17724 SD-9 Road Switcher Body Removal...

ckj6900

Hi all,
I have a question for the community.
Just bought a used KATO 17724 SD-9 ....am super happy with the running characteristics....
But since she is equipped with the rapido Style Coupler...I would like to change them for Micro Trains ones....
As you can see from the pictures, the couplers are mounted on the trucks, so to get to the couplers, the body has to come off.
I do not have the sheet that comes with the engine nor any other reference.
If anyone can tell me how to remove the body without screwing up the loco...I WOULD REALLLY APPRECHIATE IT !!!!!
Up front a very BIG THANKYOU !
Best
Chris
IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg
IMG_1679.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg

I am not into N scale so I really cannot assist. Have you googled it? I found this.
It's not an SD9, but maybe all Kato products attach the same.

I am not into N scale so I really cannot assist. Have you googled it? I found this.
It's not an SD9, but maybe all Kato products attach the same.
Hi Willie,
thanks for the link! It was not 100% like in the video but really helpful ......
and got it off without damage. It was actually easier than in the video.
Like you I an not modelling in N Scale....BUT I use N Scale Locos to create my Freelance HOn30 narrow Gauge Locos....
And here is the first step of the one I just got
I generally try to keep the basic loco ...here I added a cut down HO cab....now the running boards, handrails, steps, new pilot, air tanks on top of the body...and off we go...
Since I like the Rio Grande loge...it will stay....
Is there a prototype...99.9% not...do I care ..NO...in mining RR everything is possible....
I also attached a picture of one that is almost complete.
Thanks again for your help
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1687.jpg
    IMG_1687.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 133

Back