Kadee's whisker

happyjose

Engineers: I haven't used the "whisker" coupler yet. Do we need to use a shim to take the place of the brass spring on top of the coupler? Happy Jose

That looks great. That's one feature I really liked about the McHenry's, no fussing around getting the tiny spring in just the right place. I may switch back to Kadees now that they're as easy to install.

No..The brass centering spring wasn't that thick..I been using the whiskers on my last new freight cars..Its a perfect fit.

Kadee has made the shank on the Whisker couplers a little thicker to make up for the bronze centering spring.

It is just thick enought that it won't fit into some other manufactures' coupler boxes. A little filing with a file fixes it though.

This might be a nice change from the original Kadee. I have found on some locos that the Kadee coupler no longer returns to center because the spring is essentially worn out. This is due to excessive pushing of the coupler to it's extreme displacement. It can occur on the nose of a loco where you are pushing many freight cars or on consisted locos where one loco pushes too hard.

Bill

Back