Kadee question and LHS trip today

I went to the LHS today to get some couplers and some dull coat.

After searching hi and low I found the last bottle and last spray can of dull coat. I asked when he was getting more because I wanted another can of spray. He said he might if he thought to order some next month.

I then approached the subject of couplers for my Rivarossi Passenger cars, baggage cars and RPOs. He fumbled and looked and said they need #54 McHenry's. He proceeded to look and said he didnt have any and I asked when some would be in. He said in a couple months if he had ordered them last time.

I asked him if Kadee made them and he said no but I could box mount them on the chassis.

So much for the LHS again.

So I guess my question is what to do and who knows what about it. I have been converting my freight engines and rolling stock to Kadee and have chassis mounted all of them to this point. Everything I have done so far works so much better than before and I am wondering how it will work on the passenger cars as I havent done anything that long yet.

Any comments appreciated and thanks in advance.

I went to the LHS today to get some couplers and some dull coat.

After searching hi and low I found the last bottle and last spray can of dull coat. I asked when he was getting more because I wanted another can of spray. He said he might if he thought to order some next month.
Try looking for the Dull Cote Lacquer in the 1 3/4 fl oz bottle, and a cheapo airbrush, you'll get better, more consistent results.
http://testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1338
http://testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=2207

Trust me, after using 20+ spray cans, the bottled stuff looks WAY more impressive.

As for the couplers, order them!

If you want to save a little money, buy your Dullcote at Wal-Mart. They also have many other paints and things we use a lot cheaper than the LHS.

Sorry for your not so good expirience with your LHS. Not all of them are like that. It is shame when incidents happen like that. I assure you that others are not at all like that. The vast majority are kind and very helpful and usually go the extra mile to help you. The good ones know when someone comes in that if they take care of you right they will have repeat business.

rlundy that site didnt work, help lol

Josh, He had one of the bottles and I have too many airbrushes. The spray can was for a non train related customers project. Thanks.

I think we have the worst walmarts all they have is gloss paint and opened brushes. Thanks

We have 2 LHS that formed because the owners of one split and each took their problems with them.

There is a great one near Raleigh and one near DC that I really like and I have their cards somewhere. Would just be nice to have a warm fuzzy feeling locally instead of 5 hrs away.

Sadly, the day of a knowledge oriented owner are gone. There are a few out there, but most are just ones that don't care or so it seems.

They're too far away for you guys, but the fellows at English's Model Railroad Supply (EMRRS) in Montoursville, PA really know their stuff. The man who started the shop is still around, and he's seen just about everything there is to see in model railroading :cool:

Not to mention it's huge as far as model railroad shops go.

photo29.jpg

photo36.jpg

(photo used with permission)

Thanks rlundy that helps!
Thanks Nate isnt too far for me going to Atlantic City this summer will hop over that way on the way up I hope.

So what does everyone think on chassis mounting kadee #5s nobody really said about that?

Thanks rlundy that helps!
Thanks Nate isnt too far for me going to Atlantic City this summer will hop over that way on the way up I hope.

So what does everyone think on chassis mounting kadee #5s nobody really said about that?

I don't know how long the cars are, but I would guess you'd need some pretty wide radius curves to make that work very well. The passenger cars that do come with body mounted couplers usually have some sort of mechanism that lets them swing further side-to-side than just the normal range of the coupler box.

Wow, Nate! What a fantastic hobby shop. Just glad it isn't near me or I would be flat broke in a day. Ha!

Back