Kadee mounting

azdiane

I recently went through our collection of HO rolling stock, and find I need to replace about fifty couplers. Quite a few old cars have one coupler missing, with the other coupler assembly held in place by what appears to be a spring-steel clip. I have the replacement Kadee couplers, but when I go to the Kadee website I don't find that spring-steel clip part, unless I just missed it.

First, does anyone know what that part of the coupler assembly is called? And second, does anyone know where I can get a bunch of them? Thanks.

Hugs,
Diane

If you use CA glue, you can glue just about anything over the coupler pocket. I never use the spring plates after I take them off. They tend to loose their shape and will fall of somewhere on the layout and derail the rest of the train. Usually in a place that's difficult to reach.
You can trim away the entire coupler pocket and replace the whole thing with the coupler boxes provided with the coupler packets.

I haven't had problems with the Athearn clips or pockets however I have also used many of Kadee's coupler pockets. I have the best results when I can put a screw through it as wall as glue. Make sure you file the area on the car flat before putting on your adheasive.

Everyone does their own thing their own way. For long term reliability and ease of maintenance I remove the Athearn coupler pocket and replace it with a Kadee pocket, and I drill and tap for a 2-56 screw. It's a little more work but the end of the problem!

Thanks montanan, that was the specific lead I needed. It's Athern part number ATH90602 at Horizon Hobbies.

I do have many cars with coupler pockets replaced, but I'm specifically trying to minimally "de-originalize" this bunch of older cars that already have one working coupler..

Thanks guys!
hugs,
Diane

Back