just some minor thoughts/questions

zeis96

New Guy
In order for me to have a half circle at the end of my shelf layout how wide does the layout have to be? I plan on using 22" curves. This is my thinking... the half circle is going to be 44" in width, plus an inch or two just for safety for the trains = at least a width of 48" right?? But my concern now is if I have to reach the back part of the layout 48" is a heck of a reach!! Hopefully that all makes sense:D

Aaron,

If one side of the 48"-wide benchwork must be against a wall, you'll probably need to build-in an access hole in the center.

Have you drawn up any type of preliminary track plan yet? Even a pencil drawing on a piece of paper, scanned into an image file, would give us all a better idea of what you are trying to accomplish so we could give you better feedback.

Regards -

CSX_road_slug said:
Aaron,

If one side of the 48"-wide benchwork must be against a wall, you'll probably need to build-in an access hole in the center.

Have you drawn up any type of preliminary track plan yet? Even a pencil drawing on a piece of paper, scanned into an image file, would give us all a better idea of what you are trying to accomplish so we could give you better feedback.

Regards -

Or in the corner he could put an access point, that should give 2 feet in and 2 feet from the back. Well a little less.

Depending on how close you have the facia to the track, it may not be so bad.

I have nothing drawn up right now because I'm trying to figure out what my limitations are before I draw it up. Basically I want a continuous mainline with sidings etc. I'm thinking that at least on the two ends are going to be half circles and the min radius for my B.S. 4-8-2 is 22" This 'access hole' does anyone know of a design plan for one on the web off the top of their head? In my diagram I attached I'm not going to be using B just A & C. Actually I just thought of this.. on the 3'7" wall, if i extend it past the end of that wall I'll have access from 3 sides. On the 13.5' wall I can make the end of a dogbone their and have more access that way.
Something like this attachment if I were to make an inward cut on the layout to access the deep parts. The red being the layout and the blue being the track, and not to scale of course:D I better put some more time into the track laying programs..

How deep is the shelf? You may be okay at the C section.

Aaron, your not to far from me, I am up here in Peoria :)

Thanks Aaron, that's very helpful - at least now I can see exactly what you're working with! As long as none of the tracks are beyond 24" reach I think the access hole route can be avoided.

XtraCAD(sp?) is an excellent free layout planning software available online, but unfortunately I don't know their web address (can somebody help me out here?). CJCrescent used it to draw up his Alabama Central track plan.

Dave - Peoria is just a hop skip and a jump away, then about another 2 hour drive or so.

I've used a couple of the track laying software out there like Atlas' and I'll give xtrckcad a go too. I just dled it but I have to head to work now. Thanks for the help guys.
Also does anyone know anything about Sievers benchwork? I checked out the website http://sieversbenchwork.com/ Is this stuff expensive compared to going to a Menards or Home Depot? I printed out the templates to use as a guide for my layout.

Back