Just going crazy

buicfrank

Dug out my trains from 40 yrs ago. My ho engines don’t run. They are all stuck and will not turn. Should I throw them out? i’d like go to dcc, and convert my engines. Any ideas on how to free them up and install the decoders? It’s really expensive to buy new engines with everything installed. Thank you for the time. Frank

Not a single one runs? How many are you talking about? What brand are your locomotives? (Athearn, Bachman other?) Did you check for voltage to the track?

Last edited:
We need more details in order to recommend getting your engines running, if at all possible. First, as gjslsffan suggested, is your power pack working? Is there power getting to the track, or have you tried touching wires directly to the pickup wheels? What kind of engines do you have? Steam, diesel? You may need to disassemble them and clean hardened grease/lube from the gears. Are the motors open-frame? If so, have you cleaned the communtators (that's the part on the motor shaft that has a bunch of windings on the three to five poles? Are the wheels that pick up power from the track clean? It may take only swabbing them with some alcohol.
I'd suggest first getting the engines running on DC, and then you can consider whether to convert them to DCC. Installing decoders will require that the DC motors be isolated from the frame, which may or may not be a bit difficult. If you go to DCC, do you want sound? The difference between sound and silent converters is generally the price. With sound, it will be more expensive...usually running about $110 per decoder.
Let us know how we can help.

Did you plug the power pack into the wall?
Is the wall outlet you're using live?
Did you set the locomotive on the track, wheels touching the rails?

Cleaning the rails would be my first 'go to' and if it's sectional track, where they push into each other, with the pickup wheels next. Make sure all wiring contact surfaces are clean too.

I appreciate the advice. I will clean the track first, and get back to you. Does a test track have to be a compleye circle of just a straight piece? Frank

I appreciate the advice. I will clean the track first, and get back to you. Does a test track have to be a compleye circle of just a straight piece? Frank
No. There should be two terminals on the powerpack, labelled DC. Just connect a wire from one terminal to one rail and a wire from the other terminal to the other rail. These may be labelled 0-12v DC. The direction switch on the powerpack will determine which way the locomotive moves. DO NOT connect from the terminals labelled 16v AC or somesuch terminology which are also on the powerpack!

I appreciate the advice. I will clean the track first, and get back to you. Does a test track have to be a complete circle of just a straight piece? Frank
As stated above. No, any section of track will work. BUT, have you tried just touching the wires to the wheels of the loco. That could tell you if it is a pick up problem or a loco motor problem.

It would help if we knew what sort of locos we are talking about here. There are many variations, especially when it comes to power pick up from the track.

And that gets back to your original questions. Because if the many variations it can be easy or very hard to install DCC decoders in them. Likewise it can be reasonable to buy new ones with DCC already installed OR VERY expensive depending on exactly what one wants.

Took apart an Bachmann to try and figure out the rear truck. Lost screw and now have more parts than I started with. Just going to make a test dc with a switch to play with now. The more I read the more I like dcc. Will also buy diesels dcc ready. Frank

Back