JTEX A switcher junkyard

4th and last shelf unit built today, then populated with cars that are 100% done (metal wheels, Kadee #158's, weighted, weathered)
20201108_163500.jpg
20201108_165922.jpg

I agree with kjd about the ladders on the coal tower, unless you have some coal fired steam switchers. I posted this in the diner this morning as I want to add eventually a concrete tower over my tracks. This is Clyman Junction in Wisconsin the summer of the 2019 and the Big Boy chase on the UP main. No ladders. I love the yard you are building and with structures it is starting to get dimension. TomO
EE737C52-9EA4-4992-BC30-16668D289FA0.jpeg

A note on the abandoned coal tower. Leaving the ladders in place, if you notice the bottom ladder is cut off a scale 15 foot from the bottom.

20201212_121203.jpg

Ok, moving on. I made some bases for the small gantry crane. This shop will be for removing engine hoods and diesel engines.

20201212_115349.jpg
20201212_115355.jpg

The next big gantry crane is for taking engines off of flat cars or trucks. this requires a huge crane. I am scratch building the frames for them.

20201212_115406.jpg
20201212_115514.jpg

I like everything you are doing here. I had not noticed the ladders are not near the ground and are cut off. I have always had a desire to just model a large engine facility during what is now called the age of transition. I had multiple steamers and well ove a hundred diesels but few qualified as transition era. The big turntable and huge roundhouse with the diesel house was of great interest. Maybe down the road but I am enjoying my current ISL.

Do you have an idea yet on the ground cover or the next group of buildings?

TomO

Tom, Most of the gray painted area will be ballast. I'm going with a theme here that the right side to include the roundhouse was an existing railroad from way back (hence the abandoned coal tower and water tower that is being cut apart). That area will get a darker ballast. The left side with most of the newer style aluminum buildings will be a lighter ballast because they were built a lot later. There will be a lot of weeds and grassy areas everywhere. I need to go paint my roads back in, then a lot more will be clearer.

Back