JTEX A switcher junkyard

Well I'm at a work stoppage again. Out of track and 3 way switches again. Left side around the transfer table is coming along though.

20200614_103045.jpg
20200614_103053.jpg
20200614_103040.jpg

Still not sure I get it.. Are all those engines depicting going to the junk/scrap metal heep ? If they are all motorized and run well are you still going to make them all look dilapidated and just sit there dead awaiting the big magnet ? Because they won't look realistic if you don't. I mean how long can burned out engines and rolling stock remain shiny and new looking ? Either way, to me, a peninsula this huge only dedicated to one activity/industry other than say, an entire steel mill, just seems so wasteful of space and motive power..To me, if it were deemed instead an engine yard with its repair / paint shops, readying them to return to service would possibly need this size operation...
Many of us have seen strings of locos sitting on one/two weedy tracks ready for demolishing. This could be done in perhaps one quarter this Sq.feet and the rest perhaps a huge freight yard with diagonal spur tracks into surrounding industries and tracks into a huge passenger terminal...

What I'm saying here is only my idea of how I might have done it and in no way is a negative criticism. I'm constantly aware that it's a hobby where anythings goes (except crying)...

Still not sure I get it.. Are all those engines depicting going to the junk/scrap metal heep ? If they are all motorized and run well are you still going to make them all look dilapidated and just sit there dead awaiting the big magnet ? Because they won't look realistic if you don't. I mean how long can burned out engines and rolling stock remain shiny and new looking ? Either way, to me, a peninsula this huge only dedicated to one activity/industry other than say, an entire steel mill, just seems so wasteful of space and motive power..To me, if it were deemed instead an engine yard with its repair / paint shops, readying them to return to service would possibly need this size operation...
Many of us have seen strings of locos sitting on one/two weedy tracks ready for demolishing. This could be done in perhaps one quarter this Sq.feet and the rest perhaps a huge freight yard with diagonal spur tracks into surrounding industries and tracks into a huge passenger terminal...

What I'm saying here is only my idea of how I might have done it and in no way is a negative criticism. I'm constantly aware that it's a hobby where anythings goes (except crying)...
The large blue engine house is for repairs/rebuilding. The far left is repainting, paint shop in the lower left corner. The upper left corner shop is the electrical repair shop.

Maybe you can understand by looking at these pictures. Photos belong to the poster listed.

showimage.php.jpg
12957632_203112150071054_3325899140296810210_o.jpg

Last edited:
Ya know....that is just badass! Totally awesome dude! :cool:
Thank you James, I appreciate that. I know some people don't understand the purpose of a switcher junkyard, but to me it's been a project I've had in my head for almost 20 years. It feels good to finally seeing it being built. I have realized, I will have to thin these down some, I have way to many already on the tracks with more yet to build. I told the wife the only way I can buy anymore switchers is on a 1:5 basis. I buy 1, I sell 5!!! LOL

Back