JTEX A switcher junkyard

Jerome look at these.....

James, I would need those in bulk, 100 each bags at least.

Got the primer on the cork this afternoon, watching paint dry.
20200528_134059.jpg

Also got the ceiling fan up the other day.
20200528_134105.jpg

I ordered a bunch of Atlas code 83 flex track ends, should be here Tuesday. meanwhile I will start tining lead wires for the track. And also working out the block system.
I also ordered 2 plantation blinds for the windows when I was at Lowes the other day.

Jerome - OK, I finally see how you are going to access all of the middle tracks with that lead to the turntable on the lower left of your wiring drawing.
I must have missed it in earlier posts. Looking good.

Jerome - OK, I finally see how you are going to access all of the middle tracks with that lead to the turntable on the lower left of your wiring drawing.
I must have missed it in earlier posts. Looking good.
Wilie, I think I have everything connected correctly. LOL I drew that out so I could figure out how many blocks I was dealing with. Looks like 55 so far. But the long storage tracks might get cut in half and add another block to them so I can move something off the front of the storage tracks. I won't know for sure until I actually see how many switchers with fit in the yards.

Today started out with cutting lead wires for the tracks. 63 tinned so far.

20200530_130810.jpg

Then I got a box in the mail with 4 packages of Atlas code 83 Flex track ends. So I decided to start laying tracks today. A little soldering, cutting, nailing and filling and i have a loop of track finally!! Tomorrow I will hot wire the 4 blocks and see if I can actually run a train for the first time in over 25 years!! 🤩

20200530_210735.jpg
20200530_210745.jpg

Wow once the paint hit the walls you really hit high gear!
Just one teeny tiny suggestion tho, maybe add one more way to get in or out without having to go thru the turntable?
Possibly from CR2 to AR4, or MS1 to PS1?
I’m thinking about future ops and how the prototype might do it.
Oh, and I created something last night, I’ll post a pic on my build thread. ;)

Rick, you are right. I missed a track in the drawing. There will be another added on the other side from the crane facility to the Allied Rail Rebuilders sidings.

Well I have temporary power applied to the loop. Using an old Tech 4 controller for now. I ran a bunch of different cars seeing if I had any track problems. I found 1 curve was a bit too tight. So that is fixed. Been running 3 Athearn GP60s for about an hour backwards and forward with no issues. then I got real brave and put this monster on the rear.

20200531_144412.jpg
20200531_144406.jpg

I brought some 6 axle units out to test them. They did not like the curve at the rounded end of the island. So I tore it out an reworked it. The SD40-2's are happy now. I also fixed a high spot that was causing uncoupling problems. I will have to do the same on the other side. Just your normal track tweaks.
20200601_171028.jpg

Jerome, what was the radius of that curve that the six axle locomotives didn't like? As Willie once pointed out and I tried his repair job on several new six axles, the wheel gauge of the second set of wheel-sets in each truck was set a bit tighter in gauge and that solved the problems on a few Athearns and an Atlas locomotive. Most six axles loco's should handle 18" radius curves, but not look pretty doing do.

Greg

Last edited:
Looking good. I probably have a few more tweaks in my lines as well, as I have some that need to just be run....

55 blocks is a lot of blocks, although I would have never thought I'd have my 13....man I feel inadequate....lol

Jerome, what was the radius of that curve that the six axle locomotives didn't like? As Willie once pointed out and I tried his repair job on several new six axles, the wheel gauge of the second set of wheel-sets in each truck was set a bit tighter in gauge and that solved the problems on a few Athearns and an Atlas locomotive. Most six axles loco's should handle 18" radius curves, but not look pretty doing do.

Greg
Greg, it wasn't so much the radius but the way I kinked them tight at the corners of the rounded section. Once I removed it all, I used a nail, string and pencil to make a smooth curve. Came out to like 31.5" or so. Much easier for the 6 axle units. I did have 1 BN SD40-2 that kept splitting a switch at the front leading axle. I replaced it, re-gauged it, no worries now. I ran a total of 6 IC and 6 BN SD40-2's yesterday. That one was the only one with problems.

Looking good. I probably have a few more tweaks in my lines as well, as I have some that need to just be run....

55 blocks is a lot of blocks, although I would have never thought I'd have my 13....man I feel inadequate....lol
Patrick, I was quite shocked honestly once I counted them all up. Oh well, whatever it takes to make this happen. ;)

Back