Jim Pendley's Feather River of the WP - Open House Photos

FoamersNW

The Chief
In celebration of the release of Great Model Railroads 2009, owner Jim Pendley hosted an open house in early October to showcase what would one of the featured railroads in this years GMR. Having had the opportunity to work on Jim's layout in a very small role over the past couple of years, it was a great way to see the progress on this truly impressive layout which was the work of Jim and his crew.

The custom weathered and detailed BN F-unit is the work of Brent Strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
The UP and WP units are some of Jim's outstanding models. The BN ones were brought over by Brent Strong for the session.

The tiger striped BN SD40-2 is also the custom work of Brent Strong. I hope everyone enjoyed looking at the photos of this outstanding layout. Hats off to Jim and his crew for their modelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, breathtaking stuff, thanx for posting!
Nice locos there Brent, wouldn't expect anything less. ;)

Awesome!!! That geep looks nice.

Were there any WP F7s running? If so would you possibly have any images of those? I'm currently doing two F7a/b sets with 805 and 916 as the A's - pics of those would be great inspiration. :)

Mark

Thank You

Robert,thank you for posting those great pictures. Wonderful Layout Jim, can't wait to see it again! Robert, as always- outstanding photography.

Simply Amazing

Coming from a person who's spent more time railfanning the Feather River Canyon since 1978 than any other place in the world, I can't get over the incredible detail Mr Pendley and his colleagues have put into their re-creation of Keddie Wye and the middle part of "The Canyon". You could be looking at photographs of the area, it's that good.

Ironically, Just two days ago, we turned up a new railroad-radio streaming audio source on our website, and the location? Keddie, California! I hope Mr Pendley visits this forum from time to time so he can collect the congratulations on a job well done. He may even be interested in tuning in to hear what current day railroad operations are like in the area.

P.S. Hi Robert!

Jim Groenke
www.railroadradio.net

Wow nice website thrown in there. Any chance we can get Cajon?

Hi Josh,

We have a radio receiver/Streaming source in Lancaster, Ca that can hear the top end of Cajon (Dispatcher always, trains infrequently) provided the Tehachapi hill radio traffic doesn't monopolize the channel... We've been looking for a volunteer to host the Cajon area (like Victorville or San Berdoo) for a long time.. No luck thus far. But you never know what might 'fall into our lap'... Thanx for the inquiry, tho.

Jim Groenke
www.railroadradio.net

Having never been very successful constructing the kind of “vertical terrain” that characterized Jim’s layout, I must say that I am VERY IMPRESSED with the layout and with the weathering job on the F9.

Here’s a picture of the prototype after it had just been washed and thus lacking the weathering that standard use would surely apply;

http://www.trainpix.com/bn/EMDORIG/F9A/838.HTM

I was also quite impressed by the Y in picture #7 and was wondering if there was a prototype of that structure.

I can’t wait to see more of this layout in GMR!!!

For anyone interested in seeing a video of this layout, my good friend Steve Wesolowsky was also at the open house at took video of his BNSF road freight at various spots around the layout including several shots at the Keddie Wye spot. The video is even more eye candy for the die hard WP and feather river fans! Steve ran his train prototypically so as to really recreate what a train would look like running through the canyon. As Steve tells me the story Jim's layout started with the model of the keddie wye bridge that he built in some room in his house up side down. Then he decided that he wanted a layout for his beautiful Keddie reproduction to run trains on. Also correct me if I'm wrong but Jim lives in Yakima, WA and is a loco engineer for BNSF in the erea.
Enjoy the vid it's great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH-5a0r-dfc

What a cool layout!!! I enjoyed the pix, thanks for posting them. The GMR 2009 article was entertaining as well.

For anyone interested in seeing a video of this layout, my good friend Steve Wesolowsky was also at the open house at took video of his BNSF road freight at various spots around the layout including several shots at the Keddie Wye spot. The video is even more eye candy for the die hard WP and feather river fans! Steve ran his train prototypically so as to really recreate what a train would look like running through the canyon. As Steve tells me the story Jim's layout started with the model of the keddie wye bridge that he built in some room in his house up side down. Then he decided that he wanted a layout for his beautiful Keddie reproduction to run trains on. Also correct me if I'm wrong but Jim lives in Yakima, WA and is a loco engineer for BNSF in the erea.
Enjoy the vid it's great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH-5a0r-dfc

Interesting choice of music...

Great video but for some reason YouTube go into a snit about the sound track. It says "This video contains an audio track that has not been authorized by WMG. The audio has been disabled." I have no idea how this video got picked on considering the thousands of YouTube videos with copyright violations in the sound track.

Feather River Canyon

Thanks for all the nice comments about our layout. It is not just a one man show by any means. Scott Brons deserves much of the credit for leading the way with his rock work. My touch is in the bridges and slide fence building. Hopefully with Robert Scotts help, we will have a followup article on operations on the layout with trains from all the different era's that we model. If you any questions I will try to check in here as much as possible.

Thanks again,
Jim Pendley

Back