Jerome's Switcher Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sound (as in sound decoders) is harder to make a recomendation for. You'll need to think about speakers, baffles, and extra functions for various lights. Someone else could give you better advice if you want sound.

A Loksound AUX4 will fit in a blue box Athearn, but I would only recommend it for the experienced installer!:)
begin%20decoder%20install.JPG

Well, since we're taking of the hood and showing what's underneath (leaving nothing to the imagination), here's a pic of a switcher I'm modifying for DCC.

The older Walthers chassies have a socket for DCC but they aren't really DCC ready. The motor is earthed to the chassie, I have discovered. The wheels can touch the chassie leading to a short. So to prevent the decoder going 'poof', I've added insulation tape (hard to see as it's black) beneath the motor where it contacts the chassie. I will solder a new orange wire to the lower motor contact that will go to the decoder. I've already tested the chassie for insulation and it works, umm as in the motor doesn't work with the insulation tape in place,...if that makes sense.

There is also a pic of my new work bench. It is about a week old and already getting cluttered.:rolleyes:

Note for Jerome: that black switcher shell you can see is an alco.

It looks like they used a new sound file for those Select decoders. It actually sounds good!

The sound sample they have on their site is a rehash of their Loksound 3.5 sound file, which sounds horrible.

What kind of speaker is that? I used an ESU speaker. It was loud at first, then it got soft after I had to replace the light board (the Athearn light board was a dud). I think I'll have to check and reseal my speaker. (I'm using Elmer's poster tack. This stuff works wonders!) Do you have to seal your speaker at all? Or does it just pop in and it's good to go?

What kind of speaker is that? I used an ESU speaker. It was loud at first, then it got soft after I had to replace the light board (the Athearn light board was a dud). I think I'll have to check and reseal my speaker. (I'm using Elmer's poster tack. This stuff works wonders!) Do you have to seal your speaker at all? Or does it just pop in and it's good to go?

Glad ya like it! :D:D The speaker is a 14x25mm QSI speaker with a matching enclosure, held in place with 3M 2 sided foam tape. It rides just behind the headlight LED's, the Decoder itself is on the floor of the cab (so to speak).
:)

OK here's a pic of the 1st install. Everything is attached to the shell, and a 4 pin plug connects the chassis, this way, they can be separated for maintenance or repair.;)
I redid the install because I just didn't like the sound of the speaker in the roof of the cab,,too tinny. So I swapped the decoder and speaker locations and believe it or not, it sounds much better!!:rolleyes:

Karl, you make it look easy.

Here's a pic of an Alco ready for duty, only a TCS plug'n'play in it. Umm, well it should have been plug and play but was more like strip and rebuild. The motor wiring was redone and various areas on insulation installed, and globes changed for LEDs, to get it to DCC ready stage. Then I could plug in a TCS DP2x.

Glad ya like it! :D:D The speaker is a 14x25mm QSI speaker with a matching enclosure, held in place with 3M 2 sided foam tape. It rides just behind the headlight LED's, the Decoder itself is on the floor of the cab (so to speak).
:)

That QSI speaker is a perfect fit in the front end. Is it an 8 or 4 Ohm speaker and can you tell me where you got it?

Thanks Karl

That QSI speaker is a perfect fit in the front end. Is it an 8 or 4 Ohm speaker and can you tell me where you got it?

Thanks Karl

Brad
I'll tell you that it is a 8 ohm .5/1.0 watt speaker by QSI and will fit in the appropriate Speak EZ enclosure, both from the same vendor. I selected this particular one for 2 reasons, mainly the quality of sound and the size. It didn't hurt to have many rave reviews either. So now its a speaker I have been using for quite some time, mainly with Tsunami's.
When I started to try the Loksound speakers, I went to the same vendor to get the Loksound decoder and that is where things get confusing.
Loksound Select series decoders come with a speaker. So I ordered my decoder and when it arrived, no speaker? I contacted the vendor, they told me the Loksound advertisement in RMC must be wrong, for they never got speakers to go with the decoders. I contacted Loksound. They too have been having problems with this particular vendor claiming to have never gotten speakers that were inside a shipment of decoders.:confused: However they were very apologetic and sent me a few speakers to fit my needs and a second decoder was ordered for another loco.:D
Long story short, I used the QSI speaker because the Loksound one was too large for the switcher,( I should have specified the next smaller one) but it does sound great in my Alco PA!:D

And the vendor? They shall remain nameless for now. They have given me good service up til now, and may again, but now I am wiser , and I advise you to follow my lead.
If you are ordering a part, and their story doesn't match the manufacturers, thank them for their time and hang up!:D

And if you really, really really have to know where to get them just google QSI Mini Oval Speaker (14X24MM):D

Last edited by a moderator:
Karl, you make it look easy.

Here's a pic of an Alco ready for duty, only a TCS plug'n'play in it. Umm, well it should have been plug and play but was more like strip and rebuild. The motor wiring was redone and various areas on insulation installed, and globes changed for LEDs, to get it to DCC ready stage. Then I could plug in a TCS DP2x.

Paul
Thanks for saying that, but you just didn't hear the swearing, and the pain of solder on flesh!! (Note to self, DO NOT solder with shorts on!!:eek:)

Who's Alco is that? Atlas, Bachmann, ??

Hello dear friends!

Thank you for your answers! I sit and read the recommendations of the decoder! Head spin))) As the saying goes - there are plenty to choose from!

But before installing the decoder I need to work a soldering iron. There is a wire without contact. I got a designer - do it yourself! )))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back