Jerome's Switcher Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoke, 2nd picture, 1st row, 2 SW7 calf's at the bottom center of the picture. They have worn lettering and lots of weathering, but trust me, they are there.

No wonder I didn't see them. They don't have the imitation aluminum and delux stripe!:D

Smoke, just for you :)

100_3567.jpg

That's a great looking fleet Jerome!! So many beautiful units in one place will definitely make your switcher rebuilding layout will be sweet.

As I reach up from the floor after I fell out of my chair I have to wonder You sure your not an N scaler ROTFLMAO:D:D:D

I learned something new tonight. Did you know that an old SW1500 can have a new life as a GenSet?? Well ex-ConRail unit, NS #2206 pictured here:

071205_3.jpg

Became this new unit RP14BDB.

57701223249626.jpg

http://www.altoonaworks.info/dieselsbuilt/ns_rp14bd.html

I thank Mr. Lance Myers from Altoona Works for taking the time to explain the process and sharing his vast knowledge of the NS shops with me. Now I just need to build a few of these!!! ;)

Here's a couple more I've made for the deadline.

CSX SW1500 #1125, it threw a rod and will be scrapped, rather than rebuilt.

100_3901.jpg

100_3902.jpg

NS ex-ConRail #2218, has major generator problems and will be rebuilt into a slug down the road.

100_3903.jpg

100_3904.jpg

The wreck of SP SW1500 #2568. This is the first actual picture I've come across of a wrecked switcher. It looked like a good candidate for a build. Here's the actual unit.

download-3.jpg

Here's what I have done so far. I still need to crash the fuel tank and add some more details to it, but you get the idea.

100_3899.jpg

100_3900.jpg

Ya know Jerome...lol....I was waiting for this to happen....for you to start a thread about you and your switchers...lol....I love it man! Awesome! I tip my hat to ya! By the way how are you doing with the "quest" for the SW10s? Did those plans/specs I sent ya come in handy? or have you not started yet?

By the way it is always the skeptical that has to do the prodding on us folks the would be doubters...but hey. One of the many things I can say about this forum is that we have the best of the best here. This is why this is my home site for MRRing!

James, the article you sent is very detailed for the SW10's. It's just a matter of collecting all of the needed parts now.

Jerome, I don't know the details of that wreck but I swear I remember it sitting ithe deadline at Taylor Yard in LA about 1974. I know it got rebuilt and was repainted un UP colors. It seems to me that the wreck happened somewhere in southern California but I don't have any other details.

NS unit #2218 needed a motor, so here's the results.

100_3918.jpg

I took a Walther's Cornerstone Series EMD 567 Prime Mover and cut it down. That motor is a 16 cylinder engine. The SW1500's came with either an 8 or 12 cylinder engine. I removed the center 4 cylinders and cut down the exhaust stacks to match. I'll be sending some frames up to Mark, they'll need to be milled a little bit so the engine sits a bit lower in the frame. A little bit of weathering on that engine and it'll be complete.

Proto Switchers

Hello Jerome....quite a collection of swithers.

What is the easy method to correct those 'wavy' handrails on the Proto models?? I've seen many like this.

I have a very nice C&O one that I actually like the shell and graphics better than the Paragon model, BUT if I take it to a hot, humid envir of Thailand, I know the hadrails will go 'wirey'.

I also want to put sound and dcc into it, but I understand this is quite a process...any recommendations.

I have another all black one for 'Wabash' (wavy hand rails) that I thought of making a 'dream theme' NASA loco for the a Kennedy Space Center diorama of the Saturn IV rocket being brought liquid oxygen fuel by rail cars.

railandsail, not much you can do with wavy handrails. I've never been a big fan of the new plastic handrails. I know they look more to scale and the details are better on them, but I just look at them and they break!! :( On my older Athearns, I use metal ones as much as possible. On my newer Athearn and Atlas ones with plastic handrails (if and when they break) I'll replace them with Smokey Valley brass ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back