Jerome's Switcher Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Jerome,

the third and fourth switcher from the LEFT BOTTOM in the very first/second picture in your first post... what is that switcher? I am looking for that switcher from a picture I had, but I do not know what make and model of engine it is.

BTW: that is one impressive spread of switchers you have. I am just getting back into model railroading, love switchers, and your collection is amazing.

Thank you.

Sorry I didn't see your post at first. Those 2 switchers are GE 44 tonners. Bachmann made those and they are very available still. Here are a few close ups.

100_2942.jpg

100_2943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jerome, guess what I finally finished?

Yes the Midget!:cool:

For the unwashed masses, a little insight. Jerome, the switcher King and I have each held on to some Penn line midget diesels, from the 50's. In fact, Jerome purchased one of mine a year or better ago. Its been a little project that has run in fits and spurts since then. 1st comes researching the prototype, yes in fact there is one. a 25 Ton Whitcomb locomotive. Google it, there are several survivors.

Then comes building a better powertrain, then shaving off all the details, and installing all the appropriate parts, then paint & decals. Along the way my interest waned a bit (especially after I smoked the 1st decoder), but now its done.

Cmon Jerome, show me what YOU'VE got! ;););)

Midget L side.jpg
side view

Midget Rear.jpg
rear view

Midget side by side.jpg
with an original Midget

Midgets 1 and 2.jpg
side view with an original

:cool: Currently, it's buzzing around the layout with 14 cars in tow,,,,quite happily! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jerome, I love your SW1500R rebuild units in the AP scheme. Would you be willing to paint/detail one up for me using a SW1500 I have sitting in my closet? Took me awhile to go thru all the pages, but the switcher roster is awsome to say the least. Excellent work! Mike

Hey Jerome, guess what I finally finished?

Yes the Midget!:cool:

For the unwashed masses, a little insight. Jerome, the switcher King and I have each held on to some Penn line midget diesels, from the 50's. In fact, Jerome purchased one of mine a year or better ago. Its been a little project that has run in fits and spurts since then. 1st comes researching the prototype, yes in fact there is one. a 25 Ton Whitcomb locomotive. Google it, there are several survivors.

Then comes building a better powertrain, then shaving off all the details, and installing all the appropriate parts, then paint & decals. Along the way my interest waned a bit (especially after I smoked the 1st decoder), but now its done.

Cmon Jerome, show me what YOU'VE got! ;););)

View attachment 47369
side view

View attachment 47370
rear view

View attachment 47371
with an original Midget

View attachment 47372
side view with an original

:cool: Currently, it's buzzing around the layout with 14 cars in tow,,,,quite happily! :cool:

Very nice work Karl!!!! And 14 cars is pretty good for that. Did you remotor yours?? Mine still sits like this..............

100_1940.jpg

Hi Jerome, I love your SW1500R rebuild units in the AP scheme. Would you be willing to paint/detail one up for me using a SW1500 I have sitting in my closet? Took me awhile to go thru all the pages, but the switcher roster is awsome to say the least. Excellent work! Mike

Mike, I don't have any of my train stuff out currently. I'm kinda on a 2 year hiatus.

Very nice work Karl!!!! And 14 cars is pretty good for that. Did you remotor yours?? Mine still sits like this..............

100_1940.jpg

Oh, but of course!;)
20140913_220526.jpg

tancan motor, small flywheel and an n scale decoder

That pic,,,thats not a Penn Line,,,isn't it a Marx??

It will handle more cars,,it had 16 (a dummy BB SW7 and a track cleaning car with a skidpad under it with ultra fine sandpaper) and still didn't slip.!!

Attachments

• 20140913_220526.jpg
    20140913_220526.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 190
Thats ok Jerome, I know about being on hiatus for certain things at times. I can probably handle painting it myself, I probably missed it, what color blue do you use?

Karl, not sure what it is exactly. Mark lit it up for me, I remember that much.

Mike, Floquil's dark blue for the older versions.

You bet RD switchers count! In fact I didnt even see any yard slugs in those pics??? AND WERE IS MIL RD/ROCK IS in that mess you have there (green 2 the gills)...LOL??

Yard Master, oh I can't believe you threw down the gauntlet!!!! Please go back to page one, first entry in this thread, 202 pages ago!!!! Give me a few hours here and I'll make a believer out of you yet.

Karl, your my witness, he asked for it!!! HEHEHE

Could even say he might have lowered the boom. I've only got 3. Do road switchers count?

Here's the Wiki;

A switcher or shunter (Great Britain: shunter; Australia: shunter or yard pilot; USA: switcher or switch engine, except Pennsylvania Railroad: shifter) is a small railroad locomotive intended not for moving trains over long distances but rather for assembling trains ready for a road locomotive to take over, disassembling a train that has been brought in, and generally moving railroad cars around – a process usually known as switching (USA) or shunting (UK). They do this in classification yards (Great Britain: marshalling yards). Switchers may also make short transfer runs and even be the only motive power on branch lines and switching and terminal railroads. The term can also be used to describe the workers operating these engines or engaged in directing shunting operations.

The typical switcher is optimised for its job, being relatively low-powered but with a high starting tractive effort for getting heavy cars rolling quickly. Switchers are geared to produce high torque but are restricted to low top speeds and have small diameter driving wheels. Switchers are rail analogs to tugboats.

Sorry guys,,,,,not road switchers :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back