Jerome's Switcher Roster V 2.0

OK guys, the shop is set back up. Almost ready to start building again.

20150106_200646.jpg

Jerome,

When it gets warmer, put as many as you want in a saddle bag, hop on the bike and come run them at my house. Offer always stands...it's been too long my friend.

Brad

Ps or just come now in your car.

Karl, I guess you could call it the backshops. It's where all of the work goes on anyway.

Toot, it only looks that clean once in a blue moon.

Brad, now that's an offer I'd like to take you up on. ;)

That's just way too neat. Must not have any projects going or cleaned it up because you couldn't find something.

Montanan,

Actually the "real work area" is behind that - it is only one of those false facade to make all us real modelers, you know us messy ones, feel bad :)

No it's because everything has been packed up for 2 years. Just getting everything out and set up still.

OK so the first project is done. This is where I left off 2 years ago. Put the finishing touches on Progressive #38. I made 2 of the same engine. #36 and #37 are still getting decals added to them.

20150117_180154.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From our friends in the RC world, I started using Pactra paint for RC cars for painting handrail. Stays flexible , wont chip as easily. Pactra was discontinued with the Testors shake up,,I understand it has returned under the Duratrax name, but I have not seen that yet.

C415 001.jpg

I had a couple of Genesis SD70ACe's that peeled badly, repainted them by brush but not very successfully with craft latex. Wonder how the manufacturers do it?

Love the boxcab. I like the switchers myself too. So much so my first loco in large scale was a 23T boxcab. Nice collection.

Jason

I had a couple of Genesis SD70ACe's that peeled badly, repainted them by brush but not very successfully with craft latex. Wonder how the manufacturers do it?

Toot'n,

My guess would be that they either 'dip' them, or they would be sprayed on mass robotically. I don't know if that sort of technology is involved with the manufacturing of models (any models) but think it would be the fastest and cheapest way to mass produce a finished product.

Manufacturer use? Not sure on that one Toot, but here is what I would do with your "peeler".

1) Take off the handrails and soak of 24 hours in 90% or greater alcohol. this should remove all the existing paint, mold release agent and skin oils. from here until completion, the rails must stay untouched by human hands! Cleanliness IS next to godliness!

2) Spray the handrails with a plastic compatible "flex agent" primer. I like to use the Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter

big_adhesion_promoter.jpg

Usually found in the body repair section of your local auto parts store. If the stuff is needed to get paint to stick on your cars bumpers, it should work on other flexible plastics, right?

3) After an hours drying time, recoat the handrails in the requires colors. I tend to do thin, multiple coats. The thicker the paint, the more it will crack when flexed.

Good luck!

MMID GP38s 003.jpg

Plastic rails here, no chips!:cool:

Toot'n,

My guess would be that they either 'dip' them, or they would be sprayed on mass robotically. I don't know if that sort of technology is involved with the manufacturing of models (any models) but think it would be the fastest and cheapest way to mass produce a finished product.

They may spray or mold the rails in the right color, but I'm certain the the 2nd color is applied by a cute 15 year old Chinese girl in what amounts to a sweat shop in China.

Mm think you might be under estimating the way things are done over there, in terms of sweat shops - it isn't NYC (New York City) :)

It would make more sense to mold the rails in the appropriate color to save having to paint anything, especially as they all seem to be of one color, yellow or white predominantly.

As the rails are one color as such, why would there be a need to apply a second color at all. If they are molded in the color, wouldn't that be the end of it? If they were molded in a standard color, say grey, then they would still only need a one color going over wouldn't they?

Some more progress on the next 2 Progressive switchers. #36 & #37 got decals done today.

20150117_180016.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back