It's Weekend Photo Fun Time!!! 7-8-9 Sept 07

BNSF dude

BNSF foamer
Ok so i am a little Early on this but feel free to post up your pics! I have a couple myself this time!
1st Pic: See what you can do with higher exposure and a really bright 1.5 volt Mars?
2nd: My Athearn GP40X in ATSF Kodachrome paired with a BN GP39E haul a small 16 car local past the crossing on 18th Ave.

Little fuzzy but nice too look at. I hope that my order of 11 switch track, 60 pieces of cork, and electrical stuff, Comes this weekend so I can share with you my layout progress.

RSD15 riding the transfer table:

RSD801.jpg

My MEK resin bus at the terminal:

GREYHOUND1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffrey,

If it wasn't for the wrinkle in the background, I would nearly swear that first photo is of a prototype....

Ok so i am a little Early on this but feel free to post up your pics! I have a couple myself this time!
1st Pic: See what you can do with higher exposure and a really bright 1.5 volt Mars?
2nd: My Athearn GP40X in ATSF Kodachrome paired with a BN GP39E haul a small 16 car local past the crossing on 18th Ave.

Can we see another photo of the GP39E??

Gappleg (sry I don't know your name :) )

I don't know if the model of that bus has plastic or resin wheels, but if they are plastic, and as I think its stastic, you might improve its appearance, by using a slightly heated flat metal plate, and press it on the tyres and flatten them a little, so it will give the impression of weight. This technique was mostly recommended when doing model vehicles, and by pressing the wheel against the heated metal the bottom will flat and automatically bulge from the side, giving that realistic look of the tyre having weight on it.

Do not over do it because then it will look worse.

Caution!!! do not heat the metal too much or it will melt the plastic like butter

Hi Cliff,

These shots are awesome, especially the 2nd one. Is there a reason why your tracks are not weathered, or you are still working on it? That side shot is very nice, but the rails uncovers all, since they are shiny.

If you don't want to apply brownish aged metal, you can alwayd try applying some Gunmetal paint with some dark grey to simulate forged iron.

Hi, everyone. Nice photos, Jeff...those are coming along nicely. GAPPLEG, awesome locomotive and table shot.

Here are two of my recent compilations. Enjoy!

-Crandell

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0940c.JPG

Hi Crandell, wonderful pictures & loco too, I never knew that tunnels without brick portals existed (rock face).

I also noticed your Ballast is dark grey, is there any colour in particular that needs to be used? I checked alot of model RR, and I saw many different types of colours. I am still looking in this forum for Ballast details, but is there any chance someone could tell me the approx grain size that should be used for HO scale? Some people told me that even beach sand can be used.

This is a real temptation, very nice layouts and photos guys, keep them commin :)

I know some of you have seen my pictures on the other side of the street. For those of you who havn't, here's a couple of my work in progress.

trains013-1.png

trains008-1.png

trains024.png

trains022.png

Hi Crandell, wonderful pictures & loco too, I never knew that tunnels without brick portals existed (rock face).

I also noticed your Ballast is dark grey, is there any colour in particular that needs to be used? I checked alot of model RR, and I saw many different types of colours. I am still looking in this forum for Ballast details, but is there any chance someone could tell me the approx grain size that should be used for HO scale? Some people told me that even beach sand can be used.

This is a real temptation, very nice layouts and photos guys, keep them commin :)

Hi, Maxitrains. Thank-you for your kind words. :)

Actually, I live on the west coast in British Columbia, and I have any number of accesses to sandy beaches. The sand is light grey to charcoal black, with the latter being material attracted to magnets. So, since the other stuff looked to be the right size and colur, I merely scooped up beach sand that seemed devoid of the dark sand. What you see in my photos is the beach sand ballast, but with WS cinders sprinkled over it for effect. I figured the PRR would use both sand and cinders if the need arose, but they would both appear on mainline tracks at grade anyway due to the nature of steam engines.

Unless you are modeling a specific place and railroad, you should do what appeals to you most...just be cautious not to select outrageous colours. I have heard that some folks screen sand of a suitable colour from local gravel pits and landscape materials suppliers. I think it is Arizona Rock and Mineral that sells HO scale ballast in bags...never approached them, but some modelers like their stuff a great deal. Don't overlook places where they sell aquariums; fine sands of many colours are sold there for filtration and tank beds.

Regards.

-Crandell

Thanks for your suggestions, I will have to dig deep and check over and over before I start applying ballast to my tracks, we have alot of beaches here, but most of the sand color scheme is from whitish to redish, having golden in between, so there is nothing that comes close to the real ballast, so I have to check what I will be using. On the other side I have about 4 drums in my Garage of dark abresive powder which start from very fine ( flour texture ) till course ( rough sand size ) but this is very dark, almost blackish. I will try to post a photo showing both the beach sand and the abresive powder. I will also try to mix both together and see the result ( in colour ). but if this won't work.

I guess the only way I have to deal with this problem is using some beach sand and then apply some colour to the fixing glue, so while I'm fixing it in place, it will be also coloured.

Thanks again

Max.

Selector, AWESOME! Great photos. The PRR (Northern Central Division) dead ended in the city I grew up in, Canandaigua, NY. It interchanged there with the NYC. The old Pennsy Station is still there. I have a couple of old photos of it if you are interested. BTW, did you know that the PRR never actually went to Seneca Falls? I know it is a location on your layout. The scenery, BTW, in these shots looks much more like the North Eastern RRs.. Great work! WOW!

Man guys, this is an amazing start to the weekend!

I've got news, it looks like I WILL be adding a 4x8 layout to my collection. I plan to use it for my breaking in runs, and, well to run trains. The roundhouse & turntable need to be fixed, and it needs to be finished, so I also plan to use it for articles on modelrailroadtips, and here.

Back