It's slowly getting there

oplholik

So far this is what I've come up with on my 36X80 door topped with blue foam. Still making adjustments to the trackage. I keep playing around with it, and hopefully will get it finalized before too much longer. I'm using the Atlas software and track. Comments welcome.

Getting there.jpg P1020870.JPG P1020871.JPG

I added a parallel track along the top this afternoon, and the two lower inside tracks will be changed around some as soon as I figure out just what I really want to do there.

Getting there1.jpg

Attachments

• Getting there1.jpg
    Getting there1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 314
Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have the room to extend the double track down to the bottom where it connect on a straight section? Might avoid a potential problem, if one exists.

Well, track wise, I think I've got about all I really want, except for one small thing, a way to turn a loco around to go in a different direction. I really don't want to buy, and install a turntable somewhere, nor do I want anymore senseless trackage that doesn't look right. Maybe I'll end up having to do one or the other. It seems to me, those are my only choices tho.

Getting there2.jpg

except a way to turn a loco around to go in a different direction. I really don't want to buy, and install a turntable somewhere, nor do I want anymore senseless trackage that doesn't look right. Maybe I'll end up having to do one or the other. It seems to me, those are my only choices tho.
There are only three ways to turn a locomotive without manual intervention: turnable, reversing loop, or wye. Perhaps you could work a minimal wye into the lower industrial area, or one of the corners on the left. My first turntable was a 5" section of Atlas track that was only fastened to the benchwork by a single nail in the very center tie so it could pivot.

But... I'll asked why. How many locos do you have? Couldn't you just run one in one direction and another in the opposite?

Yeah, you are probably right come to think more on it. For what I have and want to do, I think I'll get by just fine w/o turning them around.

You use 2 locos in consist, with the cabs facing in opposite directions, Common practice among railroads.

Well shoot, it's back to the drawing board for some more fun. I saw this layout, and will be playing with it to see what comes of it. I like it, and it's totally different than what I was planning. It will be changed some for a 36 X 80 board. I just hope the inner radisus's don't get too tight.
Windy layout.jpg

Well shoot, it's back to the drawing board for some more fun. I saw this layout, and will be playing with it to see what comes of it. I like it, and it's totally different than what I was planning.
An up and over plan always adds a whole lot more main line run length in the same amount of space.

The plan you have shown in the picture is a folded dog bone. Other up and over options are the twice around and the crossed hill climb.
L18T.jpg
index.php

L29T.jpg

I'm wondering just how tight a radius I can go with my 6 axle diesels. I have 2- 4 axle, and 3- 6 axle. The outer track will be 15" radius, while the inner track is going to have to be 13.75" or maybe even 12.5".

I like your track plan on the 12:57 - 10/15/2017 posting. Lots of interest for a small space. I would just extend the two spur tracks to allow for more rolling stock storage.

Keep us posted.

Greg

Yeah, I think it's a pretty good track plan, but it just ended up with more switches than I want to mess with.

Back