It's Not Finished But It's coming Down

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Well I tried out some of my steam locos tonight and the grades are too steep for them. A five car train and the 4-8-4's began slipping. Also laboring like that can't be too good for the motors. To add to that, one 4-8-4 stopped halfway up the grade and the overload indicator on the throttle came on. With nothing on the track it would intermittently come on as the throttle was advanced. Checked out the throttles and locos, all worked fine. The wiring is just too complex for me now so I'll salvage what I can and start over with a more level mainline, and a bit of grade for the diesels (just for looks). The swing gate entry stays so I guess I'll start there and branch out to the extra room. Told dear wife the new one will be expanded into another room, she's happy with that so that's a 10' X 10' addition to work with. Now for a new concept and a plan to go with it
So I guess if can't run steam it aint any good :) I sure missed seeing those steamers running, and that was a lot of $$$ to leave laying in a drawer. So no more steep grades.
With the decision now made, I guess I can get back to model railroading very shortly.
Cheers
Willis

Willis,
Over the years I've always had a few grades & I could never run steam, even for excursion trains. So, when I started this new GAP layout I deleted all grades. I made the rest of the mountains come up from the layout & left big gaps for scratchbuilt bridges.
When friends look at my layout now, they say, "don't look like your trains have steep grades anymore". I never tell them there ain't none. Now, I run long trains & don't worry about hills anymore.

larry

Larry, I never thought about that. Wish I had; it would have simplified my benchwork construction.

Willis, too bad about the grades but they always look OK until you actually start running on them. I like Larry's method a lot better, especially since foam makes it so easy to make large mountains and contour them so the track looks like it's climbing a grade. I have nothing more than a big hill on my layout but that, along with a cut for the tracks, gives a good illusion that the train is climbing instead of running level.

Of the mistakes I made on my current layout, steep grades is not one of them :D But not intentionally; I'm modeling a relatively flat region (Northern Ohio near Lake Erie shore) so grades just aren't part of the mix. But I'm pleased with this discovery - I can run a reasonable-length train with a single six-axle loco, and I have two metal-wheeled 'dummies' that can be part of any consist. [Of course this won't be necessary once I figure out how to speed-match locos...]

Willis, always sorry to hear when a layout doesn't work out, but happy you're starting over!
I love planning and making changes to things when you run into challenges, I'll miss that when I'm done!
I do still love my grades however, more reasons to double head a train!
I'd consider a branch with a slight grade somewhere just because. Even 1 - 1.5%.
And the wife says go for the addition.... take pics!

I am wondering what grade you are running?
I have a switching loop that goes around the inside with no grade that connects the different yards and sidings.
That connects to another loop that has 2% grades and it has sidings of its own but not at the grades.
The outer loop is elevated above the others at the walkthru and has 4% grade all the way around so I can have the high trestle at the window.
I only run steam and I have no problems with the 2% grade with any of my engines and can run anywhere from 10 to 40 cars depending on the engine used. All of my cars that I actually run on the layout are weighted to scale.
The 4% grade is tricky but I wanted that for a 2-8-8-2 with 5 smaller passenger cars and a caboose for continuous running and it doesnt connect to the other lines. Not great for most layouts but alot of people that come see my layout just want to see a train run. This way there is always a train running and those that want to do switching arent constantly listening to "Make a train run" from the children. I have literally run it for 6 hours on several occasions and not had a problem. It works for the purpose I wanted.

9002.jpg

7dc6.jpg

Hmm....this is odd... at the RR club I belong to I pull a 35 car freight train up the many 1.75 grades with both my spectrum 4-8-2 mountain and BLI 2-8-2 Mikado. some are straight climbs others are in a 44"+ radius. At home I can pull about 15-20 cars up my 3.5% grade in a 22" radus curve. the mountain has metal drivers and the mikado has traction tires. All of my freight cars have metal wheels and the stock out of the box weight. I was impressed a few nights ago at the club where I ran along side a guy with 2 sd40 pulling 60 coal cars and he could not stay with me on the grades. How steep was your grades? unless the grades are very steep either the engines are very light or your cars have to much friction?

Trent

Sorry for the delay, been a very busy day, Lawyer reg. mail and shopping done big load off my mind.
OK
FunValleyLine
Alcomotive
What is your grade % or degree you have?
2.5 inches in 3 ft unless I have it all wrong that's about 6.94% Burnt the motor in an old Athearn GP7 pulling 10 hoppers. 2 Athearns do it without any problem. The step grades are very long 15 feet

Larry
when I started this new GAP layout I deleted all grades.
Yep that's my intentions. There were places I had to use 18"r and these places also required pushing a train, not the brightest scenario for smooth operation.
Not too sure of what the plan will be but for a starter I'll take down what has to be changed, sure will miss some of those scenes. But hen again scenery is scenery it's only supposed to enhance running the trains :D

Cheers
Willis

Yep, a 7% grade starts to get you into Shay territory. Grades are sort of like the Richter scale for earthquakes. A 4% grade is not twice as steep as a 2% grade in terms of the power needed to pull the grade and overcome friction, it's more like three times as steep as the 2% grade. Too bad those grades were so steep, Willis but, you're right, they did make for some fine pictures. :)

Well it's started, gee I believe this is going to be a more difficult task than building it. I'm not too sure of where I'm going with this but I doubt much of it will be left other than the gate (bridges) and the little yard which will be growing in future plans. Kind of sad boxing up the C630's, a couple of Jeeps to go yet. It looks like the whole basement will require a cleanup and a rebuild of 1/2 of it. Lordy lordy a person can sure accumulate a lot of junk over the years, it'll break my heart but it's gotta go. I'd say I've got about 30 ft of road and sub roadbed dismantled and I'll have another go at it tonight.
River-1.png
Gone and
Harbour-2.png
Gone

Cheers
Willis

Back