Is there a way to remove broken pilots from an IVES 3255?

dale1948

I'm "restoring" this IVES 3255 and was wondering if these broken pilot mounts can be removed.

After several days of searching the internet I've been unsuccessful at locating the exact original replacement pilots for both ends.

I've attempted to remove one broken pilot after removing the screws but it's solid as a rock.

Any help welcomed.

UPDATE: I finally figured out a way to remove the broken pilots. NOW all I need is a source for reproduction pilots for this model. Online searches didn't reveal this exact type. Maybe no one is reproducing them?

Anyway, I'll watch my email for possible replies to this post. Meanwhile I may even try modeling my own reproduction pilots.

Attachments

• IVES.jpg
    IVES.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 255
  • IVESb.jpg
    IVESb.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IVESc.jpg
    IVESc.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 312
  • IVESd.jpg
    IVESd.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 247
  • IVESe.jpg
    IVESe.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
I guess that I am a real dummy! I can't see what is broken?

I can see that it needs to pass through my blaster!

Is this what you are looking for?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ives-TRAIN...364445?hash=item1a876f3edd:g:TpwAAOSw5r9duIOw

Thanks for the reply, Sirfoldalot. No, you're not dumb...you're just not an IVES collector (which is probably one in your favor).

I've included a picture of another 3255 IVES with the unbroken pilot. This pilot arrangement proved to be very weak and easily broken.

The pilot in your link is not the same as the original used with this model. But it's probably what I'll have to adapt to my engine.

Thanks again. P.S., IVES collecting is dying out. For that matter, so is collecting vintage American made trains in general. The rage today is in the direction of the Chinese products.

Attachments

• Adumb2.jpg
    Adumb2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 230
Thanks again. P.S., IVES collecting is dying out. For that matter, so is collecting vintage American made trains in general. The rage today is in the direction of the Chinese products.

So I have noticed -- I have quite a bit of post war Lionel that I had planned to restore .. but life and a bout of cancer got in the way. I doubt that I will recover even 1/2 what I paid for some of the better pieces.
All my life I have bought high and sold low -- no joke!

Good luck with the project. Keep us posted here?

So I have noticed -- I have quite a bit of post war Lionel that I had planned to restore .. but life and a bout of cancer got in the way. I doubt that I will recover even 1/2 what I paid for some of the better pieces.
All my life I have bought high and sold low -- no joke!

Good luck with the project. Keep us posted here?

Haha, I hear you. Same here. The best time to sell vintage trains on ebay is now until about February. Christmas brings the "Baby Boomers" to life again, so to speak. But you're right, the good stuff of our day is falling out of favor.

All of us "Boomers" are aging (and passing away) so the vintage market is plunging. I'm only here today by God's grace. I had a very serious open heart surgery last April (bigger than bypass) so I can relate to health issues. I've been rushed to the hospital in an ambulance twice since the surgery. Some fellows I've heard about in our general area had very similar surgeries at the same time as mine and they didn't make it. Life is short and we need to plan for here and the hereafter.

As for your former cancer issues, you're in my prayers, friend. All the best.

Thank you, DALE! May the Good Lord keep you here; we need some more goodness in this world.
My Spousal Unit just left to go and do her Aunt's hair across town - I said to her, "weren't you just there a short while back?" and she replied it was back in August! That's the way my life is going - seems to be streaking by at the speed of light!
My father made it one month shy of 90 -- don't think I will -- not sure I want too?
His favorite saying was: "I spend half my day trying to remember someone's name - and the other half looking for a place to pee!"
Starting to feel a little of that now!

Be sure and let me know how your project turns out?

Thank you, DALE! May the Good Lord keep you here; we need some more goodness in this world.
My Spousal Unit just left to go and do her Aunt's hair across town - I said to her, "weren't you just there a short while back?" and she replied it was back in August! That's the way my life is going - seems to be streaking by at the speed of light!
My father made it one month shy of 90 -- don't think I will -- not sure I want too?
His favorite saying was: "I spend half my day trying to remember someone's name - and the other half looking for a place to pee!"
Starting to feel a little of that now!

Be sure and let me know how your project turns out?

That's a great saying, too bad I won't remember it.

My doctor told me to eat less, lose weight, exercise every single day, so last week I decided to make a big change in my life. I'm no longer going to that doctor.

Back