Is it necessary to adhere weathering powders to ballast?

GuilfordRailman

I’ve applied weathering powders to my ballast and while the brand I’m using is self-adhering, is it best to seal in the powders with an additional method. If so, how do I do this?

It depends I guess. It is not something that I have experimented with. I would test it out if you ever intend to use a handheld vacuum on it. The worst that could happen is you would have to reapply the powder to the test section. I know of some who use dull coat on weathered freight cars and claim that while it works, it does lighten up the effects.

I was thinking of trying something like that or possibly applying another layer of isopropyl alcohol and glue on top to adhere it. Not sure if it would work but that might be a way to go too.

I have read similar things that dull coat or matte clear coat takes away the effects of the powders and have indeed confirmed it, having just applied powders and clear coat to a structure I’m making.

I was thinking of trying something like that or possibly applying another layer of isopropyl alcohol and glue on top to adhere it. Not sure if it would work but that might be a way to go too.

I have read similar things that dull coat or matte clear coat takes away the effects of the powders and have indeed confirmed it, having just applied powders and clear coat to a structure I’m making.
I was going to suggest the glue mixture, I think that would work.

Maybe dilute it down a bit extra. Of course, I would suggest testing on a small section first.

depends on the weathering powders or sticks, some adhere better than others ....
for high 'hands on' areas i would apply a very light coat of matte finish or possibly dullcoat, a normal or heavier coat will sometimes reduce the effect of the powders ... just to help it not being rubbed off quickly ..

You are probably fine unless: 1) the powders have metallic content, which might be pulled up and into your locomotive electronics (motor, DCC controllers, etc). See if a nearby hand-held magnet picks them up; or 2)Whether they stick to your fingertips if you touch the ballast when re-railing cars and then rub them on light clothing. They probably wouldn't cause any more trouble there than would dust or dirt...but you might also find yourself doing a lot of laundry. In which case: wear dark clothing when running trains. Perhaps railroader's overalls....

Although it's not weathering powder and I'm not sure of the effect you are looking for, something I do is put A&I on high travel areas which darkens the ballast. I put it on with an eye dropper.

You are probably fine unless: 1) the powders have metallic content, which might be pulled up and into your locomotive electronics (motor, DCC controllers, etc). See if a nearby hand-held magnet picks them up; or 2)Whether they stick to your fingertips if you touch the ballast when re-railing cars and then rub them on light clothing. They probably wouldn't cause any more trouble there than would dust or dirt...but you might also find yourself doing a lot of laundry. In which case: wear dark clothing when running trains. Perhaps railroader's overalls....
Might just have to wear the overalls anyways!

I used powers on a siding perhaps 10 years ago on a patch of power to represent iron ore debris. I soaked it with 71% alcohol and the track ballast binder (white glue) worked itself up into the powders and when dry almost impossible to vacuum off.

Greg

Back