Is Interest In Model Railroading Dwindling?

I think in the future most will be kept pretty busy acquiring basic necessities and not have a lot of time or money for toys.
hehehe sort of like it was when I was a kid. We considered ourselves lucky to get a good 16 pack of crayons for the start of school.

DJTrains, that's exaclty right about the work ethic in America. I'm 16, and at school, when I see the quality of my peers, I weep for the future. I like to think that my parents raised me right, because they have instilled in me a strong, good work ethic. I am in honors and AP classes, and I can do a lot of things with my hands(robotics, car restoration, model RRing). But I feel like America is ruined and that we can't pull out of this sense of deserving that the American public now feels.

But for model railroading, it is a dying art. I tell kids at school that I built a model railroad and they're just like "huh?" It is a dying tradition, but my dad is doing his best to make my bothers and I appreciate this great hobby so that one day we can pass it onto our children.

And especially at Christmastime, we always have a Christmas yard set up with TMCC Lionel trains. We use Hot Wheels cars and small plaster buildings my mom paints with colored C7 Christmas lights. It's not real realistic, but it's tradition and it's a tradition I'll follow until the day I die.

I agree.

The nationality doesn't really matter. What matters is a good work ethic. Lets pray the country isn't ruined so the work ethic thing can work. America needs big time help.

Agreed.

I don't understand why, but in the aftermath of "Superstorm Sandy" and the follow-up "Nor'Easter" surprise snow storm, those, [not connected with public works or contractors], actively taking part in the clean-up were 40+ while those under 40 watched with blank stares.

While this is somewhat off topic, it reflects the same demographic as this discussion.

To those of you 60 or over (I am in this age group) the next time a younger person walks up to you at a show and asks you questions take the time to give them a good answer instead of ignoring them.

You just might be surprized how many computer age kids like trains and want to learn more.Do that and you can be the one putting the positive spin on this hobby,cause we ain't doomed to extinction for a mighty long time yet.

DJTrains, that's exaclty right about the work ethic in America. I'm 16, and at school, when I see the quality of my peers, I weep for the future. I like to think that my parents raised me right, because they have instilled in me a strong, good work ethic. I am in honors and AP classes, and I can do a lot of things with my hands(robotics, car restoration, model RRing). But I feel like America is ruined and that we can't pull out of this sense of deserving that the American public now feels.

But for model railroading, it is a dying art. I tell kids at school that I built a model railroad and they're just like "huh?" It is a dying tradition, but my dad is doing his best to make my bothers and I appreciate this great hobby so that one day we can pass it onto our children.

And especially at Christmastime, we always have a Christmas yard set up with TMCC Lionel trains. We use Hot Wheels cars and small plaster buildings my mom paints with colored C7 Christmas lights. It's not real realistic, but it's tradition and it's a tradition I'll follow until the day I die.

This is by far the best post (and most accurate) I've seen here (or on any forum) yet. My older generation doesn't realize how bad things are today. I do appreciate the need to work at being optimistic but the facts are the facts.

I am now semi-retired but my art is promising to put me back into the work force at full steam. In fact at this very time we're preparing videos to present to a couple of entities for their possible consideration. I've been involved in art since the 50's and am now bringing my years of experience out into the open. Nuff said.

I mention art because art is a strong indicator (or mirror) of where people are at in their heads. Have you seen the "art" being produced today? More and more it's vulgar, obnoxious, gory, wicked, lustful, sick, mocking authority and death, etc. Consider the lyrics of many rock or rap songs! Just visit any online modern museum of art or sign up to receive art news and see what today's artists are painting.

But as stated many times throughout this thread, some children are getting a good upbringing and that sometimes includes an appreciation for model trains and other such wholesome and beneficial hobbies. This is what should be promoted more. Not just to keep the hobby alive, but to save our culture from extinction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider the lyrics of many rock ... songs!

Sorry, this one I had to go after. While I admit there are some (a couple on my iPod) I can think of that are out on the edge, most aren't. On the average day of listening to the biggest rock radio station in the Twin Cities, the songs are about looking inward at yourself, about life, or about the pursuit of happiness.

The music is not much worse than it has been since the 80's. It's TV that has gotten significantly worse.

Anyway, if model railroading is diminishing at all, it's probably due to cost. When I am seeing cars around $20 for Athearn boxes and $40 for Atlas, I can see why.

I mean.. the only reason I have a P2k GP38 and a Genesis SD75M is because I scored both for $50 apiece when they retail around $100 normally.

The trains alone are expensive. Track is.. well seems to be the same price it always has been. Scenery.. I don't know, I don't have a layout. For what they are, pre-made trees can really burn the wallet. Ground foam is so-so.

Yes, the price can be a big factor. I can tell you right now that if my parents were not as successful as they are, I would not be as active in the hobby. I have several thousands of dollars in my HO layout, as well as the beautiful room that is "The Train Room", plus around 20-30 thousand dollars worth of Lionel trains and track. These Lionel trains, which my brothers and I received annually at Christmas, are what really grabbed my interest in model railroading. Yes they are pricey, but they are extremely high-quality toys and models.

.......Anyway, if model railroading is diminishing at all, it's probably due to cost. When I am seeing cars around $20 for Athearn boxes and $40 for Atlas, I can see why.

I mean.. the only reason I have a P2k GP38 and a Genesis SD75M is because I scored both for $50 apiece when they retail around $100 normally.........

I did pass on a couple of new items I would have liked to own, because of the cost, but generally, I'm spending money on track and stuff to complete my layout. Next comes the process of deciding which of my surplus of rolling stock and locomotives to sell off. I am one of those who never has enough, but too much to ever use, so......

I have a stack of structure kits stacked up for the "next" layout, ie. there is no room for them on the current unfinished layout, on which I'm re-using structures from my 1987 layout. Guaranteed that I won't be buying any more structures, no matter how they fit into my modeling interest.

I suppose my problem was that I didn't realize my allocated train room space was so small. :)

Another thought: This hobby's "growth" is based on "sales", and if "sales" decline the hobby is in decline. That's the business end. Private re-sales on auction sites, at swap meets, and train shows doesn't figure into this statistic.

Model Railroading has always been a 'wealthy' hobby. It's one reason it's so associated with Christmas. That's the one time of year a child was likely to get a toy as expensive as a train set or parents to give up the floor space to set it up. Really, just the real estate to set up anymore than a tiny layout requires having a house.
I think as long as there are trains, there will be model railroaders. The hobby may not look like it does now, but it will not be dead.

I know lack of space is what led to HO scale. Today most younger families live in rented apartments/houses and room is not plentiful.

The hobby won't ever completely go away because there will always be those who will collect train sets due to their history and basic antique toy values. Some will have running setups but for a different reason than we have them today. With those of us of the Baby Boom era it's remembering childhood experiences. In another century or so it will be more from an historical viewpoint.

Model Railroading has always been a 'wealthy' hobby. It's one reason it's so associated with Christmas. That's the one time of year a child was likely to get a toy as expensive as a train set or parents to give up the floor space to set it up. Really, just the real estate to set up anymore than a tiny layout requires having a house.
I think as long as there are trains, there will be model railroaders. The hobby may not look like it does now, but it will not be dead.

Some times I think that the hobby is still for the wealthy. I am fortunate enough to have a house and plenty of room for a layout, but everytime I start putting a list together of things that I would like to get, I'll put a fresh pacemaker battery in so the sticker shock won't kill me. I actually have more funds available than I had say 20 or so years ago, but the prices are just getting higher and higher.

momtanan - Yes it is for the wealthy - think about it - you have a house with plenty of space and money for a hobby. You may not be rich but it you certainly (as do I) have a bit of wealth.

Mager - I was there, first time ever. It amazed me they could get that many display layouts. Crowd wasn't too bad but we were kind of early. Good show

Commentary from a Hobby Shop Owner

An interesting mass email from Frank Ruby, owner of Blue Ridge Hobbies, that provides some interesting color on the state of the modelrailroad industry and hobby.

THIS YEAR AT BLUE RIDGE HOBBIES

I hope everyone has a great Christmas and Hanukkah.

First, let me say that the world's model railroading hobbyist, especially those that have supported Blue Ridge Hobbies, have been very very patient over the last two years as the state of our hobbies product availability continued to get worse.

The simple phrase to explain 2012 for Blue RIdge Hobbies comes from the Grinch That Stole Christmas -- "Stink, Stank, Stunk".

I feel the manufacturers of our hobby have not tried to help keep any seller of their products in business.

As I have discussed in previous emails, the situation on the manufacturing side of the hobby is supposed to get better according to them. But, so far, has not. Yes, the "economy" has played somewhat into what is
happening, but it is not the entire picture.

For example, the staples of the hobby, are not available.

Blue Ridge Hobbies has been awaiting Atlas Code 83 Flex track for over 10 months now. Last year it was Atlas rail joiners. We could get the track but you could not put it together. The are out of stock again this year!

Early in 2012 there was a cork shortage at Midwest.

It is not just Atlas! We have been awaiting Lionel Smoke Fluid for the last three years. It is not just these two manufacturers it is all of them.

All we here about is the closure of factories in China that are causing the problem. at least Lionel has
started to make some items here in the USA!

How do the manufacturers expect a hobby store to stay in business if they
can not get the products our customers want!

When I attend conventions and train shows, I try to talk to all of you. Both manufacturers and model railroaders. There is concern for the over all health of our hobby. For some of us, it is how we make a living.our living.

Many of you have expressed that they think the hobby is dying. Certainly, the product situation does play into this, but the hobby is a live a well.

Yes we all have a bias towards model railroading, but recently the hobby has seen large crowds that include not only the older end of the age spectrum, but a large number of youngster, children and teens
that are still interested in the hobby.

Here in Greenville, SC there seems to a huge interest on the Transportation Museum of the World featuring the Miniature World of Trains project. As Chairman and President I receive a lot of calls wanting to know when the museum will be opening. Also, the museum's 2012 Christmas Model Train Display was a huge hit. Many, many young families with their children and older guests attended the display during its 4 week run on selected dates from Thanksgiving to December 16th.

Recently, I attendend Trainfest in Milwaukee, WI. They set an attendance record of over 25,000 this year in just two days!

So, the hobby is not dead nor is it on life support.

Just about everyone loves trains it seems.

But on the retail side of the business, especially for a model train only store like Blue Ridge Hobbies, this year has been the worst year since 2007. Sales where off as of this email about $150,000.00 for 2011 vs 2012.

I attribute this to the lack of product. I do not have the staples of model railroading to sell. Other hobby stores report the same situation as we see here at BRH.

It has gotten so bad for customers that they are cancelling advance reservations. They are just tired of the waits for product. Manufacturers announce product and continually delay the arrival and do not notify the customers and dealers. Just the wholesalers.

Since our customers can not count on the manufacturers to actually produce something to sell, they are not buying anything. Thus our low sales volume.

While our online business continues to do well, it could be doing better.
The retail store looks empty compared to what we had in track and rolling stock inventory even at the beginning of 2012.

Yes, I can fill the store switch with product. But will it be product that will sell.
The answer is no!

The recent move to our current temporary location was done for a reason. Ride out the rest of the year and see where the product availability is, get through the elections and at this point, the "financial cliff" situation.

We all need to know how much the government will be taking from us going forward. To that end, a lot of you are repositioning your money and holding on to it. Not spending it on the hobby. But there is really nothing to buy.

What does this all mean for Blue Ridge Hobbies?

BRH will be downsizing its retail store front by about 1/3. Until manufacturing
levels increase, we need to do this.

This will in no way effect what we do on the internet side of the business which is about 80% of what we do for the model railroading hobby.

We need to keep costs down to get you the lowest prices we can without giving the place away!

Also, we are awaiting some location decisions for the Transportation Museum project. This project is having some cash funding issues. but we are still receiving great support from the model railroad industry. The project can not seem to get that big lump sum of money needed to get a
larger location and move out of the BETA location.

This decision will be made the first quarter of 2013 so that a downsized version of the overall large project can be started. Details to come about that as soon as they are available.

So, the bottom line....

Blue Ridge Hobbies starts shrinking the retail store footprint starting today.

ALL MERCHANDISE IN THE RETAIL STORE
WILL BE SOLD AT COST.

THIS INCLUDES ALL TRAIN SETS, LOCOMOTIVES,
ROLLING STOCK, BUILDINGS, SCENERY

The only exception is the magazines!

Prices will be adjusted at the register.

I want it all gone by the end of the year so we can start fresh in 2013
with our new concept.

This new concept will most likely be the future of most local hobby stores that can still get product.

The website will not change for now, but a new long awaited shopping
cart is being developed as of this email.

We will still have a the largest database of discounted model railroad products available at our still deep discount prices.

The bottom line is BRH is under transition and is not going out of business!

Have a great Christmas ---

Frank Ruby

Ok, just for the record. We are holding a train exhibit at the Madison County Historical Society in Anderson IN over the month of December. So far there has been 319 visitors to our one month display of On30, S, HO, HO circus trains, N and O gauge. Sound like a lot? Well, it's in two rather large rooms in the basement.

Now, 319 people so far for December doesn't sound like a lot, but...
many of the kids brought in by their grandparents are just fascinated by the trains. And invariably, the grandparent will say, the kids are just fascinated with trains. We have passed over their parents and now have the children as captive audiences for the trains. The parents? They are busy with cell phones and games. The kids? They are interested in the things that move and the buildings and people, etc.

Just my observation. Yours my vary.

Thanks for the update. This is very interesting to hear. Living in an area where I have no hobby shop, I have to order everything I need on the internet and I get so frustrated when so many of the items I would like to buy are always out of stock. Back in the 80's I ran a small hobby shop out of a shop area on my land. I was always getting "back ordered" from Walthers and other distributors. We don't have the population here to really support a shop devoted to model railroad and in the end, I closed shop out of frustration because I couldn't supply customers with what they wanted. The recession we were having at the time didn't help either.

There are die hard modelers like those of us on this forum that are devoted to the hobby. Many times I see their frustration posted on these pages trying to find items. Lets hope that in the furure things improve. The quality and diverse range of new products has grown so much in recent years making the hobby much more interesting and more fun. Hopefully the products will become more available to keep the people new to the hobby interested.
Great article !

OK guys; let's take a closer look at BRH's letter to customers and be frankly honest about what is being said. The owner makes a living out of selling model trains. In the past, when the prevailing situation was far better, such an individual would ONLY have very positive things to say, no matter how it was going personally because the hobby really was thriving.

Now, at best, although the owner of BRH makes some allusion to supposed interest in the hobby still being high, he is freely admitting to his clientele that his retail situation and that of other hobby dealers is bad, really bad, and growing steadily worse. Let's look at some of his statements.

"The simple phrase to explain 2012 for Blue RIdge Hobbies comes from the Grinch That Stole Christmas -- "Stink, Stank, Stunk".

"...the staples of the hobby, are not available."

"How do the manufacturers expect a hobby store to stay in business if they
can not get the products our customers want!"

"Many of you have expressed that they think the hobby is dying. Certainly, the product situation does play into this, but the hobby is a live a well."

"But on the retail side of the business, especially for a model train only store like Blue Ridge Hobbies, this year has been the worst year since 2007. Sales were off as of this email about $150,000.00 for 2011 vs 2012."

"Since our customers can not count on the manufacturers to actually produce something to sell, they are not buying anything."

The facts presented are virtually all down beat. Any of those that imply the hobby is OK are but personal speculation not supported by any real facts. And in particular look at the owner's last quote. If yours, or anyones, customer base are finding the products they want, or even more importantly the very basics needed to conduct their hobby unavailable, or just plain too expensive, just what do you think they do? The answer is after a while they will throw up their hands in frustration and simply walk away. If you don't think they already aren't, just check the annual subscription numbers for MR. They are down yet another 5,000 readers in the past year and overall down by 90,000 readers over the last dozen years! That is approaching a 50% decline! The magazine, itself, has likewise become just a pale shadow of the publication it once was. It is beyond naive not to recognize that the hobby is in serious trouble today and in danger of dwindling to just a wealthy persons' niche interest perhaps even before this decade is out. Fellas, when the people who are actually making the hobby's products available to us start writing annual newsletters worded like this, I'm afraid that it's time to start calling a spade a spade.

NYW&B

There is no question that the hobby, along with everything else is being affected by the economy and the product availability problems. While the dollar has lost almost 90 percent of its purchasing power since the early 1960's and even before, there is no question that the lack of product availability is a major factor in the decline of model railroading. Retailers cannot sell what they don't have to sell. This same problem obtains for the materials I use in my custom leather manufacturing business, where the quality of tanned leather has declined dramatically over the years. The suppliers can't sell me what they can't get from the tanneries. In my case, the result has been to increase the waste on a side of leather, which increases my costs. My business also depends on people with disposible income, rather than being a necessity.

The costs of model railroad items is just out of control, compared with what it was even 10 to 20 years ago. If I had to replace my rolling stock today, I just couldn't do it! Yes, we've had wonderful improvements in such things as sound and DCC, but at what price points?

It would be wonderful if we could bring the manufacture of model railroad equipment to this country, but I doubt it would do much more than drive up prices even more. I wish I had an answer, but supposedly smarter people than I can't even come to an agreement that will keep America from going over the "cliff". :( Hopefully, things will improve...

Regardless of all this, I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy, and hopefully a Prosperous New Year.

Hey guys --- We will survive. Blue Ridge and other shops may come and go. MR Magazine may disappear, but the hobby will hang on. We will hang on. I see the names change around here over the last couple of years I've been a member. Some come and some go. I'm hardly supporting the business end of this hobby, there is little I need to buy. However, I'm working on my layout almost daily. The only big purchases I have made in the last few years are to pickup some Bachmann steam since it is the first time I can afford nice steam engines. There is a strong secondary market in model railroading, I believe more than in other hobbies, people get rid of items and other pick them up. In many cases we can be our own suppliers.

Enough rambling - Have yourself some nice Holidays and run some trains!

Back