Is a 5x7 space good for my first model railway?

Depending on your answer to Willie's question, if you do have a room that is larger than the 5 X 7 layout, you could start with a 5 X7 and place turn outs on an outer oval that will allow for expansion later without tearing the whole thing up. I started with a 4 X 8 double oval. I placed curved turnouts on the outer oval. I then built a 2 X 12 section and attached it creating an L shaped layout. This enables me to have industries on the 4 X 8 and a yard on the 2 X 12. Here are a couple of "under construction" photos:

4 X 8.jpg

This is the original 4 X 8. Double oval with curved turn outs on the outer oval. One is located by the wall on this end and another is located to the left of the mountain on the far end. This is what I ran for a couple of years. The light green on the left edge is explained below.

2 X 12 yard construction.JPG

I cut a section out of the side board on the 4 X 8 and attached a separate 2 X 8 foot yard. I then added a 2 X 4 section to the end of the 2 X 8 creating a yard that is 2 X 12. Since this photo I have finished laying the track on the far section of the yard.

Future plans are to expand the layout by a couple sections until I have a continuous loop that goes around the furnace and chimney in the second photo. I found out very quickly that I had to use 18 in. radius turnouts on the original 4 X 8 which limits me to using four axle locomotives. You might the find the same limitation on a 5 X 7. However, I am having fun with all of the switching operations in the yard and servicing the industries on the original 4 X 8.

5 X 7 will have it's limitations with regard to locomotives, turnouts, rolling stock, and any structures or industries. But if you plan on expanding in the future ( provided there is room for it) you can do it easily if you allow for it in the beginning.

Good advice so far. The problems with a wide AND long slab lies in the reach. You'll have to use one hand for support, or lean your belly hard against the edge of the slab to get a long reach, and that's often where troubles come. The slab must be stable and well anchored if you're going to get a knee up on it, or get your belly hard up against its edge. And that's only possible if you only have access to one side and the other two sides are up tight into a corner of the room...where you can anchor it to studs and the like.

The other main problem comes from the curve radius. If your trains can handle small radii, say less than 20", then you can have a decent track, even a loop, in 5X7.

The last problem will come in the 'legs' of the track plan. A more interesting and complicated track plan will generally have more 'legs' than a simple loop and a siding or a spur or two. Those get old quickly. Track plans with legs hold interest longer and won't be so boring.

Table size that fits into my garage
Quick questions: Would a larger table fit? Or is the 5x7 the biggest that would fit? Will this be permanent, or will it be something you set up when you want to use it, then put it away (like leaned up against a wall) when you're not using it?

The reason I ask is that you may be able to put 2 pieces from 4'x8' sheets of foam insulation board on top of the table to give you a work surface a little larger than 5x7. The pink extruded foam boards (Owens Corning.. other brands are different colors) have sufficient rigidity to let a little bit hang over the edge of your table. You could easily let it overhang about 8" on all four sides. They come in various thicknesses. A 2" foam board is very rigid.

Just a thought. good luck!

Back