Iron & Steel - Model Photos - Walthers coke works by Ken Larsen

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Here are 17 photos of some after-market details I added to my Walthers coke ovens. They were constructed over 7 years

ago, and have been languishing in storage for the past five waiting for a new layout to live on :( Because of the 4-image-per-post upload limit, I'll need to tack on several so-called 'replies' to fit them all.

This pusher machine was scratchbuilt from photos of a similar mechanism built by Dean Freytag; I'm not even sure if a prototype exists.

But it looked believable enough to me, so I copied it. :D

1) Right side view of pusher
2) Rear view
3) Left side view
4) Front view

Behold: The Pusher (continued...)

5) Top view of pusher
6) Underside view
7) Pusher component parts

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a totally 'imagineered' model of the device that loads the coal into the ovens, called a 'larry' car. (As to why it is so named, I haven't a clue...)

1) Coal-charging 'larry' car - right side view
2) Front view
3) Left side view
4) Rear view

The larry car (continued...)

5) Larry car - top view (coal normally sits atop the black area)
6) bottom view

Weathering covers a multitude of detail omissions, and this is quite true of Walthers coke ovens

1) Coke ovens - 'charging' side (note twin 'T' girders used as larry car rails along top)
2) Discharge side
3) Plastruct 1" round butyrate(sp?) tubing used for stack; leftover brass rail sections for pusher
4) Weathered quench tower

As Grandeman says, AWSOME! Can't wait until they're in place so I have a better understanding of what all goes on!

Coke Baking 101

grande man said:
Awesome work, Ken. Can't wait to see them on the layout.
jbaakko said:
As Grandeman says, AWSOME! Can't wait until they're in place so I have a better understanding of what all goes on!
Steve B said:
Amazing stuff Ken
SpaceMouse said:
I want to see it in context as well. Can't wait.

Well shucks:eek: ... since you guys asked so nicely, ...

The first image, you'll probably recognize from the Blog - an 'arial' view of the whole coke complex. Starting from the lower left, coal travels up a conveyor from the rotary dumper to the receiving bunker/crusher. From the bottom of the crusher building, the prepared coal travels up a second conveyor [left to right] to the charging bunker. From there, it is loaded into a 'larry' car [don't ask me why they call it that...?:rolleyes: ] which rolls on tracks above the battery of ovens. Three chutes on the bottom of the larry car correspond to the three charging holes at the top of each oven. The coal bakes in the oven for several hours, while the tar and other impurities are leached out and reclaimed for by-products [not enough space to model that].

In image #2, we have a view of the rear side of the oven battery with the pusher machine. If you look closely, you can see a rusty-looking arm with a flared end facing the ovens - that thing pushes the entire ovenload of finished coke out of the oven and into a 'quench' car waiting on the other side [haven't found time to model that one yet...]. Directly over the top of the push ram is the leveling bar which, as its name implies, levels-out the coal dumped into the oven to ensure that it will bake evenly.

Image #3 is another shot of the pusher at a different angle.

Referring back to image #1 for a moment, you can see the track where the quench car travels immediately beside the oven battery. After receiving a load of 2400degF coke, it chugs over to the rectangular-shaped concrete structure at the left. Here, the white-hot coke is sprayed with thousands of gallons of water to cool it (now you see how the quench car got its name;) ) - this generates a spectacular cloud of steam which is visible for miles in all directions. The quench car then takes its still-steaming load of coke back to a receiving hopper known as the coke wharf (toward the right, behind the dirty-red metal fencing). From here the coke travels up a third conveyor to the blast furnace highline bunker (red structure at the far right). The coke is loaded from here into the blast furnace charging car [not yet modeled].

Image #4 is just another view of the 'push' side of the oven battery.

Sounds complex but I get it now! Much more work then my Copper Stamping my I'll be construction for my dad.

Back