Iron Ore Layout

regme

Hi

Well I have finally nailed down my layout, installed all the point motors, installed the power bus and a feeders to the track, bought a NCE Powercab to get started.

Now I'm trying to get some ideas about the two control panels for the layout.

SIGNALS.JPG

Acutally the whole layout needs help. My basic idea was to load iron ore, deliver to a port, with a passenger line running around the outside. Now with the control panels I would like to incorporate them into the layout. I've shown them as a triangle shape because that would fit an A4 size panel (the control panels would control the points and signals to stop the trains). I thought of making the panels about 100mm high, although it could go smaller. Most of the panels I've seen hang off the side of the layout, but that's not an option for me.

I'm open to any ideas.

Cheers

Here's how I mounted my control panels. Shown is a lighting/power panel mounted vertically on the fascia. The panle is a picture frame with Lexan insert and painted on the backside. The frame is hinged so I can open the panel for servicing if needed.

Control Panel.JPG

Greg

Attachments

• IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 189
flyboy2610:

Thanks for the compliment on the wainscoting on my layout. Where I don't have the beaded white pine wood, I use black fabric to hide the storage areas.

Greg

Nice, wel I've started to make the control panel, being an odd shape for the top, getting plexiglass is very expensive, might try IKEA and get a photo frame since they use plasic and cut that down

I found that using anything plastic, like Plexiglass, usually ends ups with the plastic breaking when drilling holes or even during handling once the material is weaken due to the holes. I tried using Plexiglass several times. I recommend using Lexan for the panel face.

Since most control panels are smaller in overall size, check with local Lexan dealers for scrape pieces and they may offer a discount for the material. Practice cutting the material with a scrape piece.

Secure the Lexan to the frame using silicon caulk on the inside of the panel.

Small panels can use Gator Board as the facing material. Reinforcement the backside of the Board after drilling the holes.

Thanks.

Greg

Thanks, I'll have a hunt around for those. In the mean time I've come up with my control panels. I asked my son what colour they should be "Blue" was the response.

Control Panel-01b.jpgControl Panel-02b.jpg

Since I have two control panels the LEDS on the Iron Ore/Port Panel are controlled with the Main Line Panel.

Hi

Now I'm thinking about my platform, here's a cross section of my platform, the red part is the roof, which is removalable so I can access the LEDs which will run down the length of the plantform. The station is almost a 1.0m long, so I'm thinking that it might be easier to build the roof in sections that way it's not so flimsy.

nxj78g.jpg

Now it becomes a construction problem on how to make it look like one complete section while providing access to the LED's should they need replacing.

I was going to use 1mm thick balsa to create the u-beams and round dowels for the columns.

Even while writing this post I see issues with a removable roof, maybe I can light it a different way, have the lights in the platform pointing up towards the roof. That way I pull the lights out from underneath the base board.

Any thoughts are welcomed

So back on the station, I have had some inspiration from Reading Station and came up with this.

xforgx.jpg

I'm not sure how to finish the station as the red line is the end of the base board. So do I extend the roof section to match the platform on the right or cut it as shown here. I was going to leave it open so you can see inside of the walkway.

Cheers

I think you need to redesign your track plan. Can you run a train simulation on your planning software?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hi

Well it's time to change the layout, after researching car dumpers and ore loaders my orginal layout is not big enough to accommodate both on the same layout. So I have come up with this, however I was hoping to make more interseting from an operations point of view.

ORE LAYOUT-01.JPG

So idealy, I would like to make it modular but using 1200x600 insulation foam. I'm looking at trying to reduce the footprint of the car dumper to give me more space.

But at the moment I just can't see it. I have looked at making it a T shaped layout with a background to seperate the two, but it just looked wrong, from above anyway.

Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers

Back