Iron Belt layout - track laid (plan w/photos)

Guyz,

Thanx alot for all the kind feedback!:)

Johnny - The other "update" I was hoping somebody would catch - but nobody did - was the B&O GP35 in the first KFC photo. Nothing unusual about that one, but if you look real closely at it in the 2nd photo where it's done up in CSX garb, you'll also notice there are (1) no cooling fans at the end of the long hood, (2) no grilles, and (3) no access hatches on the long hood - it's nothing but a slug!:p

Chip - I've learned alot from you too! My visit to your club layout last October is what inspired me to install all of those additional lineside spurs, so I can do local switching.

I have to make a trip to the camera store, my Digital Rebel has been giving me fits - can't seem to get it to auto-calculate a decent depth-of-field! Let's see the The Expert has to say...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken,

I've gone through this entire thread in the past couple of days and the modeling is just plain incredible....

One very minor nit to pick though - MDF is medium density fiberboard, a sort of wood type product. Used in furniture sometimes. The foamboard you use (and so do I) is something like "expanded polystyrene foam." I'd never thought using it for backdrops though.

JeffShultz said:
incredible....One very minor nit to pick though - MDF is medium density fiberboard, a sort of wood type product. Used in furniture sometimes. The foamboard you use (and so do I) is something like "expanded polystyrene foam." I'd never thought using it for backdrops though.
Ohhhhh.... Thanx for correcting me about that one Jeff, and saving me potential embarrassment! ;) :eek:

JailBreaker, Do you mean the trackplan? I used AbraCAData to design that. I think it's still available, but marketed under a different name[?] Personally, I would have used XtrkCAD if I had known about it back then - it's widely used by other members here and still downloadable [for free?]

XtraCAD is open source and is still free, however, the site was broken the last I checked. You can still get it through the Yahoo users group, but I don't know that URL.

Does anybody know what happened to this amazing thread and the layout? It seamed to be great progress and had alot of followers and then poof for a lack of words.

cheers ironman

wow just finially read all 15 pages and all I got to say is .......W:eek:W......fantastic work, too bad I don't live close to see it in person adn run trains with you, just superb work there!!!

LOL - I thought this thread was buried deep in the bowels of history!:p

The bad news is: That layout no longer exists.

...but the good news is, it's been replaced with a much-improved version! :cool: I haven't restored the structures or done any scenery yet, I want to have a few 'dry run' op sessions first to make sure my existing trackage will work OK. That way if any changes need done, I won't need to tear up any ballast or scenery.

Midnight, do you ever go to the Timonium show? If your in the area, send me a PM - I'll be glad to have you drop in and run a few...

Back