Introducing Kids to Model Trains

In all honesty I don't expect my grandsons to play with trains all their life. I know sports, girls, cars and more girls will capture their attention. What I hope to do is to plant a seed that will wait until its time to grow. One day they will be old enough to appreciate and or need this great hobby. My Mom planted the seed in me when she bought me my first train set, a Tyco ready to run set.

My 29 year old son has been showing interest in trains again, now that he has his new Camaro and steady girl. He was for many years the one to set up the trains under our Christmas tree. I would bet when he gets his own place he will build a layout. I saved his first Christmas train set for him. I can almost guarantee he will have a train under his tree at least.

Speaking of my old Tyco set, what a pain in the butt that set was! Don't get me wrong I loved it, but the track would not stay together, nailing down the track was very challenging, trains derailed on a regular basis. These new sets with the EZ track would have been great for me with no experienced people to help me. I don't understand why they don't fly off the shelf of train shops. Snap it together, set it up on the floor, plug in the one wire and run trains with little or no trouble at all. I don't get it, I would have loved my first train even more, if that is possible.

If you have a youngster in your family, do them a favor and buy them a ready to run set. It may be the best Christmas gift they ever get, mine was.

QUOTE: "These new sets with the EZ track would have been great for me with no experienced people to help me. I don't understand why they don't fly off the shelf of train shops..."

I've seen this effect many times - especially in the electronics industry. The last batch of units built at the factory with all the ECO changes and revisions were perfect -- just as the product ended its life-cycle.

The good solutions come well after the fad fades away. With me, it was buying the tools that I did without for many years just before selling the race car. Pretty stupid of me. Some of those tools never got to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Charles,

You bring up an interesting point. I sure hope the ready to run sets are not approaching the end of their life cycle.

I know in O gauge they have been reenergized with the Lionel Polar Express set and the sales are strong even on the 10th anniversary of is introduction. It has also spun off many accessories, add on cars and this year true scale models, even an all gold (color not the metal) edition that sells for $1100. Lionel hit the jack pot with the Polar Express RTR set.
That is how I got involved with Lionel, my daughter gave me the Polar Express set to run under our Christmas tree. That reignited my interest in model trains.

Lionel has put a lot into it's new LionChief sets as well and I know they are selling good too.

I don't know how the RTR sets are doing In HO, but I will ask next time I go to MB Klein/modeltrainstuff.com I have 2 HO RTR sets as well and I think they are fantastic. I have my eye on another one too. My problem is my wish list is much bigger then my budget!

I didn't go the route of the wood trains and toy track for my grandkids. I introduced them directly to the state of the art of model railroading. They can dial up a loco, sort cars, respond properly to the track signals, identify different types of locos and rolling stock. Currently working on teaching this young guy the basics of the effects of grade and curves on ability of the loco to pull a train. His older brother, 7 year old is learning how to solder and do basic CV programming of a loco on the programming track.

Kids_zps3ff9df25.png

Ken just like your layout, you are not the typical model railroader. There are always exceptions to every rule. Its great to hear you are teaching your grand kids so much. I would have been in heaven to have a grandfather like you, but I was on my own as a kid with my trains. Keep up the great work.

I think the average guy with kids just starting out in model railroading should start by nurturing the love of trains with wooden trains, then RTR sets for the kids. It's great to build these museum quality layouts, but the learning curve is steep for those just starting out. Kids don't have the patience to wait for them to get it right and start running trains.

One of the new members has a great idea in my opinion. He has the RTR set for the little ones to play on the floor with and he is building his layout for himself in parallel with playing with trains on the floor. Best of both worlds. I have read about other doing the same, I think it's brilliant!

I had no examples to follow, but I am an avid fan of trains now because my Mom gave me a RTR set and a piece of ply wood painted green when I was a kid. I acquired over $20000 worth of inventory in O and HO trains and equipment in my first year of being in the hobby full time. I know that is good for the model railroad economy and the more people like me who come into the hobby the better it will be for everyone else already in the hobby.

We have to keep in mind the way most people came into the hobby started with a train set running under a Christmas tree. That is how the hobby grew to be so big in the 50s. Lionel and others led the way decades ago. The hobby has shrunk drastically since then. I believe that in the quest for scale accuracy and other advanced things we forgot how much kids loved those fun and some times even silly trains.

The hobby will shrink again if we don't introduce youngsters to model trains. For the young ones that don't have someone to assist them or an example to follow RTR sets are the solution.
That is why the manufactures and many dealers price RTR sets so low. They are investing in their own future well being.

It's no wonder MB Klein treated me so good for the many years that I only came in during Christmas season to spend only a few dollars on my Christmas train. They were hoping I would comeback one day and be a full time model railroader. They were right, I have spent more then 70% of my money for new purchases with them and God knows I spend too much!

My colorful Tyco set is what led me to buy the $750 Lionel scale Chessie TMCC set with no track or transformer and other $500 state of the art Legacy locomotives. I never would have bought my Athearn Genesis with tsunami sound locomotive had it not been for my Tyco RTR set. My Lionel Legacy Command Control and ZW-L power supply cost me almost $1000 for both. All because of that $20 Tyco set got me started running trains under my Christmas tree.

Bottom line is there is no perfect way, each person has to know his or her skills, capabilities, assets and what they can accomplish with out losing the interest of the youngsters. Not everyone has the time, space, money, knowledge or the health to go big. The idea of "go big or go home" is not for everyone. I don't want to see anyone "go home" there is a place for everyone in this hobby.

Here's a couple of the second D.T. & S - DANSVILLE THOMASVILLE and SOUTHERN Locomotives which survived through the years .

BCK RR

1> DT&S No.9898.jpg 2> DTS.JPG

Attachments

• DTS.JPG
    DTS.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 226
  • DTS.JPG
    DTS.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 235
I have started my daughter out on a wooden set. She loves it! Though she is only three she wants me to play choo choo trains all the time with her. I've stepped it up a notch the day before yesterday. I pulled out my ez track and we ran trains on the floor. She sat right there with me. Oh and my history of railroading book I got for Christmas some years back is her favorite book. I know down the road she will be into other things but the seed has been planted and I hope some day she will construct her own layout.

I have started my daughter out on a wooden set. She loves it! Though she is only three she wants me to play choo choo trains all the time with her. I've stepped it up a notch the day before yesterday. I pulled out my ez track and we ran trains on the floor. She sat right there with me. Oh and my history of railroading book I got for Christmas some years back is her favorite book. I know down the road she will be into other things but the seed has been planted and I hope some day she will construct her own layout.
This!

My daughter loves trains right now because daddy does. I know it won't last forever. But I have it now. She is 4 and I am going to enjoy it as long as I can.

I just got her her own locomotive. Its an Amtrak loco now. But its going to be glittery purple with her name on the side very shortly. Its a fun project we will do together.

This!

My daughter loves trains right now because daddy does. I know it won't last forever. But I have it now. She is 4 and I am going to enjoy it as long as I can.

I just got her her own locomotive. Its an Amtrak loco now. But its going to be glittery purple with her name on the side very shortly. Its a fun project we will do together.
that is what its all about, make it personal for them, my grandaughter is fascinated with my dinky layout and rather i like it or not every telephone pole and sign so far were placed by her and will not be moved. and once i get up and rolling at full steam she will have her own barbie loco

I am glad to hear about the little ladies being introduced to model trains.

My mom bought my first train set for me because her father had model trains. So even if your girls don't build their own layouts they may pass on the hobby to future generations. My grandfather passed away before I got my first train set, but he is the reason I have trains today.

As usual... this is an interesting thread. The subject of which I happened to discuss with the owner of my LHS not to long ago. The aspect of our wonderful hobby that we were discussing that day was the fact that he has to stock mostly "ready to set on the layout straight out of the box" buildings and structures as opposed to the kits such as those that I have to order. I asked him why he had only four kits and approximately fifty of the set on the layout structures in his store. He pointed out to me that the kits do not sell like they used to. He said that many young fathers would come into the store and ask for the already built structures because their young model railroader children did not have the patience to take the time to construct and paint the kits. The owner went on to say that a like number of fathers told him that they do not have the time to work on kits with modern day work demands of their time.

That was an eye opener for me. I well understand the concerns expressed to the LHS owner by the fathers that came into the store. I am lucky enough to be at an age where I do not have to work the afternoon or midnight shift anymore and I can come home to work on and run my layout on nights and weekends. And a lot of the fun for me is taking the time to build structures and work them into the layout and improve my scenery. Like the majority of the devotees of model railroading.... my layout will never be finished. That is, we will always find something to work on, add to, or enhance our layout.... no matter how big or small the layout may be.

While I understand it.... I think it is a shame that the ready out of the box structures might very well push the new generation of model railroaders farther from building the kits.

Like most kids my son was interested in trains and he had his own layout. His life took to other things. He still has interest in trains; more
1-1 stuff.

My five grandchildren (3 boys & 2 girls) Love to come into the train room. I am loving it whilst it lasts.

My wife is my biggest cheerleader. She knows where I am. LOL

David

4 out of 5 kids were exposed to model trains during the early years. All 5 were around real trains. 3 as of now don’t want anything to do with trains either real or model. My twin 8 year old boys whom are in the autistic spectrum have trains. Wooden, plastic toy trains and HO trains. Not having dedicated space for trains, we take turns setting up theirs or my N scale. Wooden trains holds their attention longest. HO comes in second. When we run mine, 10 minutes tops. If we go railfanning, it better be a hot spot of activity or they get grumpy. Their favorite thing to do is go magnet fishing by the rails. We have a few old railroad bridges accessible that are near active lines. Pulling up spikes and watching the passing train makes them happy.

Back