Intermountain SP Cab Forward Run Status?

skyliner

At some point, I decided I would get an SP Cab Forward (probably when I first saw the only remaining one at the CSRR Museum many years ago). My preference is for a later version, AC-10/11/12. I passed on the earlier Intermountain runs when I heard they had some teething problems, but I think those have been mostly worked out by now.

Does anyone know the status of the latest Intermountain run of these locomotives? I've been trying to figure out exactly what's going on, but it's difficult to piece together the story online. Their website is a little difficult to figure out, listing some as "Confirmed for Production," some "Contact your Dealer," and some "Reserve now." Searching other sites brings up old info on previous runs; some list expected delivery dates in 2019, some list later this year. No one seems to actually have any in stock, so I'm wondering if these were slated to come out last year, but are still not done yet.

There are some dealers still taking pre-orders on these, I may just do that to avoid missing out. Just curious if anyone has heard anything else, before I try to get a hold of Intermountain directly.

My understanding is the 3rd run is the best of them. Revised motor and gears and Loksound decoder. If you can find one from the 3rd run, should be good. As for the next, fourth run, who knows when those will be ran and released. Could be 2021 or 2022 the way things go with Intermountain. I waited for several years for a run of Ice reefers to finally ship.

Back