Intermountain AC-12 4-8-8-2 Cabforwards!!!

AGGRO

I, Aggro...
Does anyone out there own one of these locomotives?

My only encounter in person with the IM AC was at the local hobby shop watching a test run. Goregeous steamers, as highly detailed as any mass produced loco, buuuuuuttt....the max speed was approx 30 mph? WTH? :eek: At $330 with no sound, they seem like an okay deal as long as the speed issues can be resolved. Anyone got a solution to increase the speed?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Rivarossi 4-8-8-2 and I know it isnt the same but I can say it was the slowest engine in the fleet. That was until it took a dive in the gulch with 6 heavy weight passenger cars. Now it is the deadest loco in the fleet. The chassis that hold the trailing truck broke off at the metal frame where the last driver truck sits. It is on the bench awaiting the patience to be glued and screwed and wired and pinned. Any suggestions anyone?

Anyway I am not sure why they are slower and didnt get an answer on mine from anyone I talked to.

Could it simply be that slow because it is a big heavy engine? I know the largest Bowser loco kit (T-1 Duplex 4-4-4-4) has two motors because of the size and weight.

Could it simply be that slow because it is a big heavy engine? I know the largest Bowser loco kit (T-1 Duplex 4-4-4-4) has two motors because of the size and weight.

Not sure about his mine is about the same weigh as my 2-8-8-2 they just put it together backwards.

Im Ac-12

It's the gearing. Until mine gets here (waiting for one with sound in the second run) I can't say for sure what can be done for those out there. Probably some gear box changes with NWSL gears or a higher rpm motor. Hopefully IM will fix this on future runs. They should be capable of 70 smph or so. The prototype routinely hit 60 mph in passenger service.

My guy at the LHS said the sound units are currently done and awaiting shippment to the US. The boat with IM's container will be here my early May.

Back