Intermodal Yard Plans

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

pa3de8

GO PENNSY!!!
I was interested in putting a large intermodal yard on my layout like the one I used to work at when I was younger in the North Bergen, NJ area. Does anyone know where I can dig up some intermodal yrad track plans. I used to have a map of the yard in North Bergen but over the course of my life I seem to have lost it.

Scott

modelbob

Administrator
If you're building an intermodal yard, check this new toy out:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/322-89001

It will set you back some serious bucks, to the tune of $750, but it sure looks like it would make a great centerpiece to an intermodal yard.

As for trackplans, if you have a prototype yard you like, get on google maps and use the satellite view to get a look at the design. That would probably give you enough info to create a trackplan.

pa3de8

GO PENNSY!!!
I used Google Maps, which by the way I didn't even know you could use and it brought up a satelite photo of the rail yard in North Bergen NJ where I worked. That is a neat feature.

Scott

pa3de8

GO PENNSY!!!
I saw that in one of my WAlther's updates. That is a bit steep for me at the moment to just plunk $750.00 right around the holidays for myself. Maybe I'll put the photo of it on my desktop back ground and stare at it long enough for my wife to charge on her card and get it for me for Xmas.

Scott

pa3de8

GO PENNSY!!!
Thanks Nate, but my wife, Mrs. Thrifty that she is, would never have paid 750 for it anyway. If there's a deal she'll find it!

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

HaggisKennedy

Coal Shoveler
Pop over to the Model INtermodal yahoo groups list and post the same question there. There's folks there that can give you good info about finding layout plans for those kinds of yards.

Realistically, there isn't much to it. I don't know what N. Bergen looks like (nor Little Ferry), but I can picture Willow Springs in my mind, and it's basically a big expanse of concrete with 3-4 tracks running through it. I was at the east end of Bensenville one time, and it was just a track or two with a piggy-packer dropping containers into the well cars.

If you're doing the Google/whatever satellite imaging thing, don't forget Global III:

http://www.uprr.com/notes/corpcomm/2003/graphics/globaliii_map_color.pdf

Then there's the BNSF stuff:

http://newdomino.bnsf.com/website/facility.nsf/intermodal

:D

Kennedy

pa3de8

GO PENNSY!!!
Thanks Kennedy! I went with just doing my own based on what I remember of the North Bergen yard. I used to work in the trailer repair area repairing the damaged trailers that were off loaded from the trains.
I loved that job. A friend of mine got me the job, worked there for 3 months on a trial period and then the company was supposed to hire me and put me in the union and they had to make some cut backs and unfortunately I was one of the casualties.
They had me scheduled to go to Texas for 6 months and learn how to repair and operate the large packer machines that off load the trailers. I'm sorry I never got to go!

Scott

pa3de8

GO PENNSY!!!
I did manage to use some graph paper and sketch up some plans for an intermodal yard. I will scan it an attach it shortly. Any criticisms would be appreciated.

Scott

RCH

Been Nothin' Since Frisco
Try this, Scott:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=40.80417&lon=-74.0125&datum=nad27&u=4&layer=DRG&size=l&s=24

Click the green arrows on the sides or the corners to pan the view. I don't know what the date is on this quad map, but generally, things like track arrangements are usually outdated compared to maps.google.com, so they can be very helpful for historical purposes. You'll notice that even some of the structures are depicted as black shapes, too, so seeing the footprint of landmark buildings can be useful for helping out with scale.

As far as printing or saving the maps is concerned, I think topozone has their viewing software set up to "encourage" you to buy the images from them. However, there is a little button on your keyboard marked "print screen"...

I don't know if there are any hiking outfitters in North Bergen, NJ or the area where you live, but I've been able to purchase full-size quadrangle maps at these establishments and find them very useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work at a Intermodal Yard for NS hauling moving containers for toyota. We're pretty small, two tracks only, PY01 is a little over 2500 feet, and PY02 is a little over 2000 feet. Use a Taylor Crane to move the containers on/off the train. Averaging 100 lifts on/off a day. On Site trailer/chassis repair, two Capacity Yard trucks. The main pad is Concrete, parking area is Gravel and Asphalt.

If you can find anybody that has decent Overhead pictures, address is 601 Cherry Blossom Way Georgetown, ky 40324

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.