Intermodal container trailer name

ndazzle

What are the names of the trailers that the intermodal containers fit on for transport? I need some for my layout. I believe they can stack them up cause I seen several stacks of them at the local intermodal yard. Thanks
Mr Nubie :D

The biggest problem we intermodal modellers have been whining about for awhile now is the lack of 53' chassis to haul our neato 53' containers. Athearn doesn't seem to be interested, and none of the other manufacturers out there are either. There is a kitbash workaround using the adjustable Walthers one, but other than that, we're limited to the shorty 20's that Athearn makes, plus a 40 and 48' ones from Herpa. I've seen an extendable from American Ltd, but don't know if it's still available.

Kennedy

Scratchbuild 'em or kitbash 'em! Container chassis are among the easiest scratchbuilding projects there are. Just use the tires and axles from another trailer and you're all set. Use photos or another chassis to use as a guide.

IMHO, the biggest problem is a lack of 53' spine cars...

Yes, they should haul the 53' containers. Usually, if the car is named a 53' well car, it represents the max length of container it can haul. If it's an 'all-purpose' car, it'll have hitches to carry a 53' trailer in the well....

Kennedy

okanaganrailfan said:
i have some 53' well cars from walthers, but i dont know if they haul 53' containers

I just got a set from Walthers. They are very nice. But having a problem with the flanges. They seem a little narrow for the code 83 and sometimes derail on a curve. I am going to look for wider wheels to fit more snug.

Back