Interesting: Athearn Genesis GP7, GP9

MLW

Came across some brouhaha on other forums about the new Athearn Genesis GP7 and GP9.
Found links and comments posted on a German forum (of all things)

Might be of interest to you guys.
From Athearn Photo Album *Sneak-peek" on Facebook:

24193_403155595040_320327140040_5555820_6009676_n.jpg

Coming soon from Athearn Genesis in HO - the EMD GP7 and GP9! Different phases, and many, many different variants and roadname-specific details. Shown is a Southern Pacific Ph.II "GP9E" rebuild, with PAF box, GRIP battery box doors, "dual-fuel" tank, numberboard access doors, and modified skirting.

Early pre-production test model shown; final model may vary in details and construction. Release date and price TBD. Be sure to sign up for the Athearn News for further updates on this and other future Athearn releases.

24193_403155605040_320327140040_5555821_951527_n.jpg

Close-up of some of the rooftop and end details of the SP GP9E. Early pre-production test model shown; final model may vary in details and construction. Release date and price TBD. Be sure to sign up for the Athearn News for further updates on this and other future Athearn releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
and more...

24193_403155625040_320327140040_5555822_977139_n.jpg

Front end of an SP-version GP9E - note the SP rebuild GRIP battery box doors, SP light package, and PAF box. These models will also feature an all-new cab with interior details and sliding side windows.

Early pre-production test model shown; final model may vary in details and construction. Release date and price TBD. Be sure to sign up for the Athearn News for further updates on this and other future Athearn releases.

24193_403155640040_320327140040_5555823_771491_n.jpg

From the album: "Sneak Peek!" by Athearn

Front end of a GP9 showing yet another one of our many options, this time a large WP/DL&W "Barrel" headlight. Also note the slotted skirt, and 1200-gallon fuel tank.

24193_403155655040_320327140040_5555824_3073943_n.jpg

Detail shot of the high short hood of an SP passenger-version GP9, showing the steam generator details and distinctive "Wagon Wheel" antenna. Again, just a few of the many railroad-specific details you'll be seeing on these!

WOW...All I can say is, if this is for real - then it's about time!:cool:

(Wonder if they'll do chop-noses for Western Maryland, Illinois Central, etc...)

and more...
24193_403187345040_320327140040_5555922_6266881_n.jpg

A small taste of some of the underbody detail you'll be seeing on the GP7/9, and one of the many skirting variants we'll be able to do. Early pre-production test model shown; final model may vary in details and construction. Release date and price TBD. Be sure to sign up for the Athearn News for further updates on this and other future Athearn releases.

24193_403187350040_320327140040_5555923_5931067_n.jpg

A view of the engineer's side underbody detail. We've even included the bell, tucked up behind the right-front stepwell; to be installed as appropriate per prototype, of course!

24193_403187360040_320327140040_5555924_6131164_n.jpg

Underbody shot showing off the 1200-gallon fuel tank, and slotted skirting.

24193_403187390040_320327140040_5555925_4932233_n.jpg

From the album: "Sneak Peek!" by Athearn

High-angle view of the SP-version "Torpedo Boat" Geep, including the slotted pilot, torpedo tanks, steam generator details, wagon wheel antenna, and more.

Some comments [in english] on the German forum:
got this reply from Craig Walker at Athearn.
"As for variants, we are still working on many of them. But as I understand it, we will be doing both the low nose and chopped nose for these, as well as Santa Fe Topeka cabs. We are still trying to compile usable information for the Paducah units, but we are hoping to include them as well."
Anyone out there have any "usable information" that they could share with Athearn!
Peter Arnold

Facebook link
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...pid=5555820&id=320327140040&fbid=403155595040

German Forum link: http://www.nexusboard.net/showthread.php?siteid=7293&threadid=1541#pid16688
Click on the link. go to the top of the page and click on Der Link dahin that will bring you to Facebook Athearn Page/Album directly.

Saw these the other day and while they look nice, I wish they would do a Genesis version of their gp38-2, or atleast make them dcc ready.

If they went to all the trouble to add all those lights, then why not make the class lights actual lights too?

Athearn seems to be moving up in the RR world.
Good for them. The more choices, the better the models,
the better for us.

Mar 10, 2010 - HO Scale
Athearn Genesis Announces a NEW MODEL - the EMD GP7/9 in Multiple Types - w/DCC & Sound or DCC Ready

Athearn%20Genesis%20logo.jpg

Athearn has announced a NEW GENESIS MODEL - the EMD GP7/9 Series. This long rumored model sets a new standard for one of the most widely used early diesels! The pictures and text here gives a preview of coming attractions. Early pre-production test model shown; final model may vary in details and construction. Release date and price TBD. Check back as more details about roadnames, delivery dates and pricing are revieled.
What can we expect from this model? As a Genesis level model some features should be:
> High level of specific prototype fidelity for different Phases and railroads.
> This should include GP9B units as well.

> Available with Tsunami DCC Decoder or DCC Ready.
> Athearn's usual high level of painting and lettering - again Phase and railroad specific.
> New weighted chassis to Genesis standards.
> Precision Genesis motor, flywheel and driveline.
> Pricing should be in the same range as the previously announced Genesis GP15's .

Link: http://www.pwrs.ca/announcements/view.php?ID=3418

Any mention of roadnames? ? ?
Didn't see anything on the website.
Please be BN, please be BN, please be BN...

About time someone made the modular skirting!

Anyone have a Bachmann GP7 yet? I'm interested to see how they look/are...given their $65 pricepoint and P2K cloning.

Figures; I am just about done my UP GP9B with fuel oil conversion, to run with my turbine. I used a P2K as a base.

I'll probably still finish it.

Athrean has moved up n the ho scale that is true I can't wait to have this unit doin some switchin on my road

Someone on the Atlas forum said that the contour of the nose is incorrect as they used the contour from a front range shell. whether thats true or not, I don't know. Maybe someone can look into it?

Sure is! I cannot wait, BNSF GP9B here I come! Much better then the Front Range GP9 I was working on.

Josh, are you going to wait for an undecorated version to come out or are you going to strip one down? I need a couple undecorated versions myself but since they were announced there has been no mention of them being available.

Back