insulfrog and stock --> closure jumper

MilwRoader_Steve

Greetings all!

New guy here, and I did a search but did not find the answer to my specific question:

HO scale; DCC

I've been buying PECO Insulfrog TOs but do not have them installed yet. I checked them with a multi-meter and the adjacent stock and closure rails are not jumpered/connected from the factory. So the closure rail is only powered through the point making contact with the stock rail. I have heard/read that this is not a good idea for DCC as the electrical connection with the point can be sketchy. I know my multimeter was NOT settling on the workbench. I have also some Micro Engineering TOs and they are jumpered stock to adjacent closure.

Would you recommend that I solder a jumper wire between the stock and closure rails?

Looks like PECO put a gap in the ties for this very purpose, but their packaging instructions do not mention it. Further, looks to my untrained eye that the gap between the opened point and its stock rail is quite sufficient to prevent a short as the back of the wheel goes through, but what does experience say?

Thanks all, in advance!

Steve

I suppose - to answer my own question, so long as I have feeders to the track on the other side of the plastic frog, then the closure rails WILL be powered, unless I use insulated joiners.

So I guess this gives some versatility as per the packet instructions. If I do have a siding where I want to 'park' my small switcher, say (which I might) then I can throw the TO and it gets electrically isolated and goes dead. Throw the TO again, and it comes live and I can grab it via DCC. Might could work.

I have Peco insulfrogs all over my layout. I have no problems using them right out of the box, no jumpers. But that’s preference.

The Peco Streamline #6 turnouts that I have in numbers present no problem with continuity over their lengths on either route. Keep the inner flange face of the stock rail clean, and that of the point as well, and you should be good to go. The only place where some people experience problems with the Peco turnouts is just outboard of the black insulators. The odd metal tire can bridge the two rails, closure or frog, and you'll get a beep and stoppage until you clear the bridging at that location.

Would you recommend that I solder a jumper wire between the stock and closure rails?
As rgeiter said, I've used Peco insulfrog turnouts out of the box for years without a problem on the closure rails.

As Selector said, I have had a different issue with a wide tire jumping the gap on the frog causing a short. Easily fixed with some clear nail polish.

I use Peco electrofrog as they come from the factory and have not had any problems with wheels bridging the gap between stock and point rail, nor have I had any issues with conductivity between point and stock rails. For the former potential problem I attribute my lack of issues to having rolling stock with wheel sets properly gauged. For the latter I can only say I try to keep the point and stock rails clean at the point at which they touch.

One big caveat is that I've only been running trains on my layout for a couple of years. I'm curious to hear from others who don't modify them...how long have you been trouble free? Maybe the OP and I will both be convinced to modify the turnouts :)

Back