Insane, or Loco?

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
I just wandered my collection, *in my head, I won't touch it until next weekend* and I realized that I have half as many Locomotives as rolling stock! And here i am with 2 more sitting in front of me as I detail them before painting. Anyone else here 'Loco'??
Josh

Back in the days before marriage, I maxed out at 65 locomotives and 300 plus cars. While this may be not as much as others around here, all the locos were painted by me, or were in the process. I had such grand dreams of early BN power running on my favorite branch. Its ALL gone now. I needed the money and sold out at fire sale prices. I had nice stuff too. Sold all of my books (bad bad bad). Was I insane, no. But as I look back I wish there had been another way.

Well it's hard for me to make that comparison, but definately there is more cars than locos. That's the easy part. I really don't know how many locos I have or how many I'll end up with when I'm done kitbashing. There's still some trainset locos that will be put on ebay or maybe I'll get a table at a train show and sell all surplus stuff. Building kits that will never fit into the scheme of things, now that's where I went nuts :D
Cheers Willis

There's a guy on Trainorders who says he has 465 locos. That came up when somebody asked him why he had 56 U36Cs....

I have about 90 unbuilt and 110+ finished locos in my fleet....

Before you ask, I have 275+ finished freight cars plus 172 unbuilt cars....

:D

Kennedy

LOL the how much room quote is good! I know it wasn't aimed at me, but I have that issue now, BUT I'm in the process of seeing if I can buy a building in my hometown, that comes with a 40'x60' (est.) warehouse next to it...

For now, they will power trains on my dad's home layout, until he gets a fleet of his own for his freelanced railroad...

Josh

i have 10 locos and about that in useabul rolling stock . lol i am just starting to get into this hobby to the point that i care about what my locos and rolling stock run and look like

JeffShultz said:
Kennedy,

How much room do you have for a layout?

Current is 8x12 Island (as in, walk around) layout with a switching second level (which is 2x8). This is the temporary layout; if I ever get to building the main layout, it will be 11x22.

Kennedy

I should mention that I model two eras; the main era is Transition, and I'm a GN modeller (but any Hill Lines loco will do). I also model Modern Day, because I'm a railfan as well. I see a lot of CSX and NS, and because of run-through power and leasers, that all adds to the locos listing.

Kennedy

Wow. I must be different. My layout has 3 home road locos, 1 foreign road, and 74 revenue cars. If I throw in all the 'other' stuff, then I have about 3 more loco's and a few dozen more freight cars. This gives me a car to locomotive ratio of 18.5 for my layout. I think that's a little less than the big boys have.

lemscate said:
Wow. I must be different. My layout has 3 home road locos, 1 foreign road, and 74 revenue cars. If I throw in all the 'other' stuff, then I have about 3 more loco's and a few dozen more freight cars. This gives me a car to locomotive ratio of 18.5 for my layout. I think that's a little less than the big boys have.

Hey man where you from in MI? I'm in Hancock right now...
Josh

My current ration of locos to cars (including those on order) is 2:4. None have been worked n yet.

When I'm "done" building my fleet, I should have 5 home road lokies, roughly 30 logging flats which are locked to service my RR (Can anyone get me a good deal on 50' flats and details west log bunks?,) and roughly 30-40 cars, which won't be on the layout at all times allowing variations in switching. So about 1:12, 1 lokie per 12 cars.

OlsmilinEd said:
I don't think I can recall anyone ever mentioning a two level ISLAND layout before! I'm getting some oddball mental images. Please tell me more!

That part is actually one of those "National Train Show" layouts that Model Railroader used to build. This one happened to have a second level above the first one; it only covers one half (lengthwise) of the module (it's 8'x 24"-30").

The upper level was originally supposed to be a cookie-cutter section per the construction plan, but that required a 5% grade. Instead, I'm working on maybe a 2.5% grade by running a sloping ramp on the OUTSIDE of the island. By the time it gets to the switch controlling the siding, there will be about 180" of track length, to gain about 6" in height.

This ramp (and the extention around to the other module), is built on 1x4s on risers. The upper level is actually 1" pink foam glued to a thin sheet of hardboard (1/8" scrap, actually two pieces). This is glued on top of 2" pieces of foam (the other half from the upper level).

The ramp isn't finished yet; I still have to clean up another section of the basement so I can construct the curve at the end. This modification from the cookie cutter allows me to dedicate the entire upper level fully to a switching layout while the lower level is a two-line main. The underside of the upper level is basically a tunnel. The upper level has 4 industries plus a town.

The lower level also has a setout track as well as an engine service facility for crew/engine changes.

This module has a one-way connection to the second module, which is a modification of another one of the MR Train Show layouts, the San Jose Central. That one is single level...

:D

Kennedy

Back