Ink Jet Decals...

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I went to Walthers today as planned and I did purchase some decal paper from HobbyCal. This product was designed for ink jet printers and doesn't require any fixative to keep the ink from running. The guy at Walthers said he has a had positive feed back on this product. I haven't used the paper yet, but I did read the instructions. The decal paper is available in white or clear backgrounds.

It appears that once you cut out your graphics (decal) you place it where you want to apply it and add some drops of water and the then when the decal is loose from the back, slide the decal off the backing. Different than soaking decals in water like conventional decals. Then using a paper towel you press the decal down on to the model.

Lighter fluid is used to soak the decals once the decals have dried to settle the decal into the surface and around details. The instructions said do not use Solvaset or Micro-Solve!!! The instructions also says to try other fixatives. I'll use DullKote to seal the decals and hopefully that will be compatible with the decals.

The white background is clear until it dries.

The paper was $18.98 for a package of five or six sheets. Not a bad price if it works.

I want to make some decals for my ore cars and two computer programs were used to make the decals with the help of another modeler on a different forum. We used FastStone MaxView to create the logo and I then used Excel to reduce the logo to the correct size since my free FastStone trial had expired.

I'll soon be making decals once I have six ore cars ready for the decals.

Looks like using this product uses a greatly different approach than what I'm used to for decals. We'll see...?

Greg

CM&NR Logo November 26, 2018.jpg

Greg,

This looks like an interesting project. Be sure to show us the results. This seems to have great possibilities for a number of uses.

Sherrel: It's only for an Ink Jet printer and I've told the product's development focused on using Ink Jet since so many people had Ink Jet printers at home and not laser printers. The counter manager at Walters's also said that I shouldn't use a laser printer with HobbyCal decal paper.

Greg

I've also recently started to experiment with Ink-Jet decal paper and custom decals. It's been a really fun process so far. I'm creating a custom shortline railroad called the Beagle Creek Railroad, and I made some decals for it.

BGLE Forum.jpg

Not too bad, really!
Mitch

Last edited:
So many questions, So little time!
Holding my breath, GREG ..
This is important - quit wasting time on wiring lighting, LOL.

you can get paper made for laser OR inkjet printers ...
t made some decals a few years back, maybe six or so, for a fictional short line ..
i used a truetype font with white decal paper [for an inkjet] .. and printed yellow letters with a black background ..
test prints were done with ordinary paper first, one sheet did all my loco, with quite a bit left over

Attachments

• nj10w 002r.jpg
    nj10w 002r.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 188

Back